96 P lack of power

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Andyo33
New

96 P lack of power

Post by Andyo33 »

I have a 96 p 1.4 cl, aex engine. It feels down on power. I have changed the leads and plugs but it doesnt help. The car just feels hesitant, not misfiring but sluggish. Has anyone got any ideas? Ive heard that sometimes replacing the exhaust can help.
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by mysteryboy »

it has 55bhp or something like that.
what sort of power were u expecting? :lol:
Andyo33
New

Post by Andyo33 »

i used to have a 1.0 arosa (which im still trying to sell!!) and that felt a lot more spritely through the rev range
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

exhaust system & induction kit can increase the power but not by much.
I was expecting more with my 1.4 aswell... 16v polos are faster but at the time when i bought mine i didnt know there was an 8v and 16v. Never mind too late now
Andyo33
New

Post by Andyo33 »

what sort of induction kit do you recommend, ive seen a k&n one but not sure where the cone goes. Do you remove all the piping and just have the cone filter and pipe going straight to the airbox?
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

i was recommended the k&n too. Im not sure how its done as ive not done it. Im looking into it at the mo b4 i make a decision and prioratise which mods comes 1st...
It dont look too hard tho... might take about 2 hrs for someone like me (lack of knowledge) :)
wils0n86
Bronze Member

Post by wils0n86 »

i had a jetex kit on mine, and my mate has a k&n, both on 8v, and the jetex was better.

the kit ive got came with everything (breather pipes etc), and cost £85 new, my mates k&n was £60 new and didnt come with any of the necessary pipes.
Andyo33
New

Post by Andyo33 »

jetex it is. Do you remove the hot air feed?
Giorgio
Silver Member

Post by Giorgio »

chuck a bottle of that engine cleaning stuff (cant remember for the life of me what its called) in with your next tank of petrol. Wont do much for performance but it sounds a million times better. Your exhaust fumes will be black for a few days but that just means its doing its job.
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

i would suggest cleaning out your throttle. This is done by removing your current Airbox/air filter assembley, opening the throttle opening and spraying in Carb Cleaner (can get this from Halfords). fit airbox assembly back on and switch the engine on, letting it run idle for a while.

In this process you can replace the air filter as well, or replace it with an induction kit. a K&N simply mounts ontop of the throttle with a jubilee clip.

I may have a complete K&N complete with all neccessary pipes and servicing kit up for sale if any1 is interested! :wink:
polo_mf
Bronze Member

Post by polo_mf »

list it in the for sale section!!
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

AKs_SlickPolo wrote:i would suggest cleaning out your throttle. This is done by removing your current Airbox/air filter assembley, opening the throttle opening and spraying in Carb Cleaner (can get this from Halfords). fit airbox assembly back on and switch the engine on, letting it run idle for a while.

In this process you can replace the air filter as well, or replace it with an induction kit. a K&N simply mounts ontop of the throttle with a jubilee clip.

I may have a complete K&N complete with all neccessary pipes and servicing kit up for sale if any1 is interested! :wink:

how much u looking to get for the K&N?? used or new?