Few Questions.

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
urz
New

Few Questions.

Post by urz »

Just wanted to ask a few questions about the GTI as Im thinking about getting one.

Whats the performance like?
Whats the insurance like?
What are your thoughts about it?
What do you thinks its faults are?

Ill be 19 and have 1 years no claim (hopefully!) in February and was wondering if it was worth saving for a GTI or save a few quid and get a 16v.

Thanks in advance for your help.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Whats the performance like? Quick, especially 1st to 2nd at 6000rpm, it nearly pulls your head off and keeps pulling in every gear, reached 120 real easy.

Whats the insurance like? I'm 19 with no no claims and I'm paying £160 a month with my mum as a named driver.

What are your thoughts about it? I love it, especially the interior and the Xenons.

What do you thinks its faults are? With mine I wouldn't say I've found any to be honest, but others may have more to say.

Hope this helps, and it's deffinately worth saving for.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Whats the performance like? Pretty swift! Until the arrival of the new GTi next year, the Polo GTi has got the most powerful petrol engine fitted, in factory spec. 1.6-litre, 125bhp, 0-62mph in about 8.5 seconds (ish) and 130 mph top end. Cruises the M-ways at 90 with ease and when you put your foot down at 90 in 5th, she still pulls up to the top end :)

Whats the insurance like? The important bit is that it's in IG 12, so that's quite high really. The Saxo VTS for example is 8 or 9 I think, the Polo 6n 1.4 16v is IG10. I'm 24, 6yrs NCB (protected) with full legal cover plus my Mum as a named driver, and I've just paid £462 for another year's cover with Direct Line.

What are your thoughts about it?I love it, even though sometimes I crave more power (overtaken by a Golf 5 GTi the other day and he went past me like I was standing still, even though I had my foot down)... the xenon headlights are awesome and the build quality and residuals are pretty good. I've got no complaints really, it's great :)

What do you thinks its faults are? Relatively high insurance costs (comparing it to other cars in the same class), Volkswagen repair bills... corroding alloys... can't think of too much else that is generic to all cars. The pedal box recall has been carried out on the vast majority of GTis now so no worries there. I'm having a bit of a 'mare at the moment with electrical faults so check everything works (inc. A/C or cliamte control) when looking at a potential purchase :wink:

At the end of the day I think it's a great little car, and quite exclusive due to limited numbers on the roads. Take one for a spin and see what you reckon!
urz
New

Post by urz »

Thanks for that.

The GTi sounds great its just as you say the insurance! I'm just going to have a look around and get a few quotes. I just looked up insurance groups for other cars in its class the 'Parker's Car Price Guide' and it seems to be lower! (Saxo VTS = Group 14 and 106 GTi = Groups 13)

Other members views on the GTi are still welcome.
DMWRIGHT
Bronze Member

Post by DMWRIGHT »

An excellent car, but the big thing with it, now is its age, and the cost to keep it on the road, could be fine, could be very expensive, coupled with insurance costs etc you have to know your budget well and plan for all cases ...
Alex_6n2
Gold Member

Post by Alex_6n2 »

i'm waiting for the new GTi which should be even faster (1.8T someone said somewhere :D D:D)
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Quality, all that power in a little car :twisted: