Anyone fitted an oil cooler??

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
CBurns
Bronze Member

Anyone fitted an oil cooler??

Post by CBurns »

Was wondering if any of the g40 owners on here have fitted an oil cooler to their car.

I've got my hands on one and want to fit it to the g40.

Is this a relatively easy thing to do, if so can anyone give me a few pointers as to how to do this. I beleive the pipes fit to were the oil filter should go is this right and should the kit that comes with it fit on straightforward without any modifications??

Pics of any fitted would be great also to see exactly where everything should go

Cheers

Chris
pettsy

Re: Anyone fitted an oil cooler??

Post by pettsy »

want to get one for mine ASAP 8)
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Pitstop sell a Kit for a G40, the pipework needs to be very long as there isnt much room in the engine bay for it. (most people mount it in front of the rad) Mines mounted where the intercooler would be. Loads of room for one in a GT. :D So just got a mk1 golf kit from www.rallydesign.co.uk

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL827/15 ... 605956.jpg

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL827/15 ... 191726.jpg

Kit includes sandwich plate (fits onto the block where the oil filter hole is and then the oil filter bolts to that. The two cooler connecting pipes and the oil cooler. Ideally you want a thermostatically controlled one, and most are (thermostat is integrated into the sandwich plate)[/img]
DelG40
Gold Member

Post by DelG40 »

Are there benefits to having an oil cooler on a GT?

And what parts did you buy on that site?
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Depends how much time your engine spends at high RPMs. (Quite alot on a GT then) Alot of people drive GT's very hard, Id say if you drive at anything over a constant 5K rpm for prolonged periods it would be advisable to get one of these. Its main benefit is to stop the oil getting too thin. Also it means the oils "shelf-life" is extended.

I bought this oil cooler:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/pr ... ts_id=2249

The link below shows the options you have for the kit. I went for the "stainless + oilstat" installition kit. Most expensive but also the most hard wearing. 8)

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/ad ... mocal+golf
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

I approve oil coolers on any GT, the thermostatted type that is.

If you buy the ones with a stainless overbraid on the hose, be aware this needs isolating from touching anything. The braid will rub it's way through anything in contact. Gareth has it plumbed in neatly, so it's no problem.

Another tip is ptfe tape all the threads before assembly so there are no leaks.
DelG40
Gold Member

Post by DelG40 »

Thanks for that guys. I think an oil cooler is on the list soon!

Couple of questions though, did you choose a 1/2 size BSP ? Are there any options to make for the installation kit?

What is PTFE tape? That's the white insulation type plumbing tape that's adhesive to itself eh?
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

yeah 1/2" bsp. what options do you mean? Think the only option you want to consider is which pipes you want (rubber or stainless) with your oilstat (sandwich plate)
DelG40
Gold Member

Post by DelG40 »

What are the reasons for either rubber or stainless pipes?
robz
Gold Member

Post by robz »

What is PTFE tape? That's the white insulation type plumbing tape that's adhesive to itself eh
yeh thats the stuff
polo_GT
Bronze Member

Post by polo_GT »

Also worth replacing the standard o ring seals which come with the kit for some better seals as the o rings aren't up to the job. Mine leaked because of these.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

DelGT wrote:What are the reasons for either rubber or stainless pipes?
well the rubber ones are cheaper. The stainless ones look cool and will last longer. The rubber ones will last the lifetime of the car though I would imagine.
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

Easiest way to mount one on a G40 is to cut out the offside foglamp recess and moount the cooler behind that. Just need to make up a couple of brackets, then run the pipes under the front crossmember and across to the take-off plate.

Mounting in front of the radiator seems to make the pipework runs a bit more complex, but it's the only way really if you've got foglamps fitted.