So who's 1337 then?

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Speedlaw

So who's 1337 then?

Post by Speedlaw »

(That's: 'elite' btw)

I just got an e-mail saying my homepage can be shut down within two weeks, as I will have reached my 5 Gig monthly traffic limit. That's not me downloading music, that's hits on the pics generating traffic...

At the mo' it's generating 288.3Mb worth of traffic every day. Ouch.

:shock:

Any free hosts out there with FTP access and say 100Mb of storage?
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

WOW thats some goin speedy and can i tag allong with another little q
any one know where i can get some web space to make a little page for when i do my install so that i dont flood the forums
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

www.angelfire.com

this is where i built my web page - only gives you 20mb of web space though so it would be good for Ash but not so good for speedy :(
_Spud_
New

Re: So who's 1337 then?

Post by _Spud_ »

Speedlaw wrote:(That's: 'elite' btw)

I just got an e-mail saying my homepage can be shut down within two weeks, as I will have reached my 5 Gig monthly traffic limit. That's not me downloading music, that's hits on the pics generating traffic...

At the mo' it's generating 288.3Mb worth of traffic every day. Ouch.

:shock:

Any free hosts out there with FTP access and say 100Mb of storage?
I dont know of many that provide that much for free, one of your problems is going to be bandwidth requirement, most free hosts will only give u a small amount of bandwidth, if u over run they cut u off.

U might want to look at paying a little bit per month and getting some proper hosting, for say £10 a month or less u could get that sort of space.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Good suggestion,

I've considered asking my current provider to figure out if they will upgrade my specs for a small fee. OTOH, the traffic went down enough to avoid the temporary ban - yay!

I've resized all the pics to cut down on traffic too, it seems to help.
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

Speedy,

you should try Total Choice Hosting at www.totalchoicehosting.com.

They're US-based and have really competitive prices, plus you can pay for your subscription by credit card using PayPal.

Their web hosting plans start at US$4 for 300Mb with 5.5Gb bandwidth (though I know that won't suit you).

I personally use their $5 a month plan which is good for 500Mb with 10Gb monthly transfer rate to host my little Polo forum.

Check out their prices at http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/web-h ... plans.html .

They don't charge any setup fees. Hope this helps!
Babe RuthLess
Gold Member

Post by Babe RuthLess »

PS: I have done a lot of research before settling with Total Choice, but if anyone's got a better deal then please let me know too!

BTW Total Choice service is excellent, they're fast and I've never experienced any server downtimes with them. Plus they won't chage any extras (like setup fees such as Lycos'), just the subscription plus $2.50 for every 1Gb of traffic that exceeds your preset limit.

This, unfortunately, has not been much of an issue for me but hopefully that should change!

Cheers,
_Spud_
New

Post by _Spud_ »

I use http://www.oneandone.co.uk they are the best money can buy, and they are very well priced.

I have around 9 websites hosted with them, and I have never once had a problem with downtime.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Thanks Babe & Spud,

I'll check those hosts out. I kinda miss those nice big pics, after resizing them all to mini sizes. I think 300 Mb would suit me fine for some time to come :D