Gas Discharge Headlights...

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Gas Discharge Headlights...

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi

It's been bugging me since I got the car... The Xenons are a really nice touch on the GTi, but I'm worried that mine might not be alligned properly!

The light is really bright and white for a couple of car lengths, then it stops. Not like normal lights when the fade into the distance... These babies stop! There's a definite line accross the road, and it's not far enough away! :?

I went to the dealers and they told me it's a 30 minute job to reallign as they have to hook the car up to the computer. (£45/hour divided by 2 = £22.50 to get the lights alligned!) :cry:

Anyway, on a similar note, does anyone know how to get the backs off the lights to change the Full Beam bulb and also the sidelight bulb?

The autoelectrician at my dealers told me they'd have to drop the bumper, take the lights out, change the bulbs, put it all back together again, then allign on aforementioned computer. A lot of work to change the bulbs!

Any ideas as I want to upgrade my Full Beam bulbs and put LED sidelights in?
Polo17
Getting There!

Post by Polo17 »

i would also like to know how to get into the lights.....it looks bloomin impssible!
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Are you happy with the beam distance on your dipped beam?

I ony get a couple of car lengths... Do yours go further?
Polo17
Getting There!

Post by Polo17 »

to be honest i have never really looked to see how far they go.
i will check em out sometime and let ya know. to be honest i dont do a lot of night driving..coming upto winter tho i am likely to do a lot more.

tho they might not be the best brightness....they do give off the coolest light! :) just like daylight!
Ricardo
New

Post by Ricardo »

The autoelectrician at my dealers told me they'd have to drop the bumper, take the lights out, change the bulbs, put it all back together again, then allign on aforementioned computer. A lot of work to change the bulbs
This is what they tell the Golf people too. Some take the bumper off (Jimmy, Golf V5) others take it easy, move the battery etc. Havent looked inside a new polo since my sisters 1.4 99T. Is it as tight as in a Golf ie no room to swing a small screwdriver :?: :?: I changed my indicators and :x :x :x *$%£! gave up on idea of changing the light bulbs (For now!)
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Just looked through my handbook and it says all bulbs should be changed by the dealer, and that there is a risk of death! from the Gas Discharge Transformer!

There is seriously no room to get at the back of the lights, and it all looks pretty well sealed up!

I wonder how they go on in France... I thought you had to have spare bulbs when driving over there? Fat lot of good they'd be!

"Sorry Officer, can't change my bulbs here... Where's the nearest VAG garage?" (Spoken in French of course!)
tigor
Bronze Member
Drives: 2012 9R

Post by tigor »

Somehow I managed to get a fly stuck in my headlights. G-d knows how. Looked right around the unit and saw no way in.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

A fly?!?

That's wierd, they are pretty much water-tight!

I'm a bit concerned about the whole dealer changing bulbs business... Have you seen their labour rates?!

Let me know if you find out how to get the backs off
blackpologti
Bronze Member

Post by blackpologti »

to get the bulbs out im pretty sure the lights have to come out and that means the bumpers gotta come off. They are meant to be water tight although one of mine is suffering badly from condensation. Me straight back to dealer to moan.

TAs
tigor
Bronze Member
Drives: 2012 9R

Post by tigor »

Josh_PoloGTi wrote:A fly?!?

That's wierd, they are pretty much water-tight!
I don't know if it makes much of a difference but mine aren't the same headlights as you. Standard Mk5 ones. It must have got it at production. Noticed it really early on.
o c t a n i u m
New

Post by o c t a n i u m »

Where can i get a pair of replacement "facelift" headlights?
These that i'm looking for are not the standard ones, look at this post:
http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... c.php?t=35
jon leggett
New

Re: Gas Discharge Headlights...

Post by jon leggett »

Josh_PoloGTi wrote:Hi

It's been bugging me since I got the car... The Xenons are a really nice touch on the GTi, but I'm worried that mine might not be alligned properly!

The light is really bright and white for a couple of car lengths, then it stops. Not like normal lights when the fade into the distance... These babies stop! There's a definite line accross the road, and it's not far enough away! :?

I went to the dealers and they told me it's a 30 minute job to reallign as they have to hook the car up to the computer. (£45/hour divided by 2 = £22.50 to get the lights alligned!) :cry:

Anyway, on a similar note, does anyone know how to get the backs off the lights to change the Full Beam bulb and also the sidelight bulb?

The autoelectrician at my dealers told me they'd have to drop the bumper, take the lights out, change the bulbs, put it all back together again, then allign on aforementioned computer. A lot of work to change the bulbs!

Any ideas as I want to upgrade my Full Beam bulbs and put LED sidelights in?
i noticed that my lights where like that the moment i lowered it, it really seemed to make a difference.

as for changing the bulbs, yes you do have to remove the bumper and the lights. i did it myself and it seems so stupid but it does have to be done.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Haha,

I forgot to tell you all...

<copied from uk mkivs forum>

WOW!

That's all I have to say...

Well, almost!

BobVW will vouch for the terrible performace of my HID's on the way to the Curry (and back again) on Saturday...

They've never been too hot, so when I had my car serviced last Friday, I asked if they'd have a look at them.

Well, they had a look at them alright (and a fiddle) the result was they were pointing at the floor right infront of my car! Didn't realise until it was too late to do anything about it (ie on Saturday night on the way to the curry!). Plus, you need a 1551 or VAGCOM to adjust them! So I was stuffed...

Took it back yesterday morning, and they "adjusted them".

No difference last night... I was livid!

Anyway, took it back tonight and they adjusted them again... All looked to be ok, until I got onto an unlit road. I could see that the beam was going into the distance (good) but that there was another beam still pointing at the floor! I pulled over, and covered my drivers side lights up, and found that the passenger side light was indeed pointing at the floor! I called VW back to ask whether this was normal (I knew that the lights are angled differently, ie passenger side more to the kurb etc) but was told to bring it back.

Anyway, I don't know what they did, but for the first time since buying the car, I finaly understand why HID lighting is a £700-£1000 option!!!

IT'S AMAZING!

On the way home, I hardly needed to use full beam... Something I have never been able to do (I live out in the sticks) and it gets pretty dark!

WOW!!! I'm sooooo happy now!!!

Cheers for reading this drivle!

Josh

Toff

Mine was in a pool, just like you said, but now it's a VERY even spread of light accross the whole road (and a long way into the distance)... It's like the sun is following me round

The stealer told me last night that one of the engineers had just been on a "comfort & convenience" course at VW, and he piped up when he heard about my troubles. Aparently there was talk of adjusting HID's on this course, and once this guy got his mitts on my motor, my problems were solved!

I think there must be "adjusting the lights" and "REALLY adjusting the lights"!!

Go and speak to your dealer again, complain that you don't think they're safe (time of year, dark nights etc...) Unless you have a problem, I think once they Properly adjust them, you should be ok!

Good Luck!

Josh

Toff

They recon the height is fine... They put it up on the MOT light thingymagig, and adjusted it on there.

Just as a test, I drove the 25 mile trip home from work last night with only the HID's... No Full Beam, not even once! I live in deeepest, darkest Derbyshire, and some of the B-roads on the way home are scary! I never even came close to needing them, and I was pushing on!

My Stealers are Gilders, Banner Cross (top of Eccleshall Road), Sheffield... 0114 2670 670, speak to Jason in service

PS. Are your's electrically adjustable? ie, no height adjustment knob in the car, and no mechanical knob on top of the lights... Automatic adjusting should I say, cos mine are like that, and they adjust them with a VAG 1551 box.

Cheers

Josh

So... They've adjusted them, and they are the best lights I've ever had!

VW engineer talked me through taking the bumper off and taking the lights out, so it looks like I'll be changing my sidelights/full beam bulbs pretty soon!

Ahh, I'm so happy now!
Polo17
Getting There!

Post by Polo17 »

so josh dont they have to take the bumper off to adjust the lights? did they charge you to do it?

mine are absolute crap now i have had it lowered so much...2ft then they stop! :evil:
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi mate...

No, they just plug their VAG 1551 into the socket under the ash tray to adjust them via the computer...

Very painless.

I got mine done for free, as they have never been right, but I'm sure a stealership would want money from you seeing as you've lowered the car to the MAX!!! (looks cool btw!)

Only took them 10 minutes though, so watch how much they quote you!

Much, much better now, really, really bright, and the light fills the whole of the road!

Good luck