I have the slowest GTi

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

Ive seen a Polo GTi engine do 140+ on road angel in a lupo none gti so it must be possible with the engine!
CalvinGTI
Sponsor

Post by CalvinGTI »

i was waitin for someone to mention that Ben !!

140mph in a gti with just an airfilter or that is lies, deffo fudged speedos !!

i did 130mph odd in mine but no doubt my 17"s were messing up the true speed.

Cal
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

im always throwing spanners in the works aren't i :lol:
well how can parkers be 15mph out :o
i think im going to write a letter to the editor/publisher
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

My TomTom has shown that my speedo is 6mph out and like I say, the speedo has been up to about 129 which would be 123 with more left in it.
metalblue
New

Post by metalblue »

i've had an indicated 140mph from mine - 1 passenger and totally standard car, but also likely total bobbins.

I've always assumed because the speedo's is driven off the gearbox the speeds are "manafactured" speeds rather than a measurement of your road speeds - and just like the VW gearbox totally unreliable...

However since i've had my new gearbox my top speed is around 125mph - i'm sure the two are unconnected :roll:
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

The one and only time I have (or will) try for topend I had a indicated 140 out of mine on a long slightly downhill stretch, the revs were just under 6900 and it was a cold morning. I know from comparing GPS at slower speeds my speedo is about 2-3mph out I recon at that speed probaly about 6-10mph which takes it very close to the book top speed which I thought was 127mph.
jon_poloV
Sponsor

Post by jon_poloV »

defo fudged speedos!
140 :lol: :lol:

but surely these 135mph+ figures have something to do with lowered suspension, bigger wheels and fudged speedos!

could not have said it better!
Jon
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

The speedo is always going to be out, even going from a set of new tyres to worn tyres would knock it out, checked the manual the book top speed for the GTI is 127mph.

It was never really designed for topend, its geared in 5th for just under 21mph at 1000revs, so if you could get it on the limiter at 7k you would be looking at a tad over 140mph however I don't think its possible unless you have a 7 or 8 mile long road going downhill with the wind behind you.
andrea
Getting There!

Post by andrea »

I havent got the guts to do high speeds, I've got to 90 before i poo my pants!! :lol: :cry: :cry:

But then again, the only time i have driven it on the kind of roads you can test it is on the way back from buying it!! :roll:

I think i need to grow some balls!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

xxx
CalvinGTI
Sponsor

Post by CalvinGTI »

andrea wrote:I havent got the guts to do high speeds, I've got to 90 before i poo my pants!! :lol: :cry: :cry:

But then again, the only time i have driven it on the kind of roads you can test it is on the way back from buying it!! :roll:

I think i need to grow some balls!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

xxx
haha

why not just buy a 1.0 ltr ?

Cal
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Dangerous Dave wrote:The speedo is always going to be out, even going from a set of new tyres to worn tyres would knock it out, checked the manual the book top speed for the GTI is 127mph.

It was never really designed for topend, its geared in 5th for just under 21mph at 1000revs, so if you could get it on the limiter at 7k you would be looking at a tad over 140mph however I don't think its possible unless you have a 7 or 8 mile long road going downhill with the wind behind you.
I had it upto 130 on a straight road over probably 10 miles. Obviously it won't be 130 because the speedo is off but... who knows.
andrea wrote:I think i need to grow some balls!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

xxx
I'm not sure they suit you though would they :lol:

Just wait for the temp to be sitting where it should do, find a nice empty carriageway and go for it :wink: :twisted:
Blackie
New

Post by Blackie »

speeding on the motorways is to risky(i got caught doing 95 on the A90),if find it more fun to hit the minor roads. 120 down a bumpy country road, what a rush!
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

thats one way of getting yourself killed
polopowah
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

mysteryboy wrote:thats one way of getting yourself killed
too right
my mum hit a deer at night at 35mph
nearly killed her......... :? and the car was a write off
i hate people speeding on small roads....keep it to the big roads where u get caught, nuff said

-Ben-
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

polopowah wrote:
mysteryboy wrote:thats one way of getting yourself killed
too right
my mum hit a deer at night at 35mph
nearly killed her......... :? and the car was a write off
i hate people speeding on small roads....keep it to the big roads where u get caught, nuff said

-Ben-
Agreed. Besides, you don't need to flying at 120mph down B-roads to enjoy the drive, 50mph is more than enough on most of the country roads in Shropshire to put a grin on your chin!

Its all about being smooth with the throttle/brake and steering inputs, and reading the road ahead as far and as best as you can. By all means take the racing line through your corners, or cut through S-bends, but only if you can see that the road ahead is clear and there are no hidden obstructions (I've been reading Steve Sutcliffe's Carcraft driving masterclass in Autocar, see) :wink: