Newbie help

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
josewick
New

Newbie help

Post by josewick »

Hi all

I have been stitched up big time by the local garage that I bought my 98 polo from.

Its a 1998 T plate 1.4 and now I am experiencing a "whiring" noise when on the move in gear..

Reading a few posts it seems to be the gear box bearing is a common failure on them...

My first question is, can it be replaced? or is it a new gearbox job??

Is all MK4 box the same? across the 1.6 / 1.4 range??

How much are they roughly?

~I have a warranty on it but the garage refuses to do the work as the claim limit is only 300 quid and I used 280 quid already when replacing a throttle body.

Thanks

Joe
SEAT_UK
New

Post by SEAT_UK »

Just write a really b***h email to dealer, threatening legal action and media coverage. I am now amazingly good at such letters after owning a 3 year old Seat Ibiza and dealing with Seat Customer Service - well Service is a vague word.

They can't just wipe there hands of the car, it needs to be to a certain standard. Legally a dealer must provide 3 months of unlimited price warranty on vehicles of certain standard. If he sold you the car saying it was in good nick then you are in the right.

If he refuses to have it fixed, then have the car fixed yourself, ask advice from solicitor. Put your best suit on and get ready for the small claims court!
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Yeah mate don't worry about it since you bought it from a trader as opposed to a private seller you do have legal entitlement to get it fixed. If you are unsure what steps to take next get in touch with your local trading standards branch they'll tell you what to do for nothing.
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

doesn;t sound like the usual bearing failure, more a worn gearbox in general. does it pop out of gear easily too?

those warranties can be a pain eh? but you know if all else fails it won't kill you - a recon gearbox is quite cheap nowadays and you can probably insist they change it for you free of charge.