Rear Wash Wipe Problem

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
mikegti
Silver Member

Rear Wash Wipe Problem

Post by mikegti »

Was thinking about that aero rear wiper mod when i realised ---- no fluid on the back window !!

So , where do I start looking , and if it involves dismantling trim , will it be a nightmare ??? ( i fink it will ) (3 Dr )

All help appreciated

This is a late 2002 1.2 55s not the earlier Gti ,

the originator is 'Ricochet'

ignore the photo
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Pipe will have popped off - common problem on the 9n.

A search will reveal all. . .
SamY
Getting There!

Post by SamY »

I had the pipe pop off problem during a cold spell last winter too. Its fairly easy to reach the pipe.. Dont use the rear spray until you fix it otherwise you'll flood the boot door, and this might do bad things to the lock.

Does anyone know if its possible to adjust the direction of the spray? right now my spray shoots the jet over the roof, with only a tiny big hitting the rear window. I've tried sticking a pin in the nozzle, but it wont budge.
Buzby
Sponsor

Post by Buzby »

As Ive found out the hard way there are connectors in four places that will pop off :evil:

They are:-

1 - Underneath the ABS Gubbins in the engine bay (L/H Side).
2 - In the boot next to the Seat belt reel on the left hand side (behind the carpet and just above a pair of electrical connectors)
3 - At the top of the rear pillar L/H side just before it goes into the rubber Boot to the hatchback
and finally

4 - Inside the hatch - the connection onto the wiper motor.

I think thats all... :D
xx_loopy_xx
Silver Member

Post by xx_loopy_xx »

SamY wrote: Does anyone know if its possible to adjust the direction of the spray? right now my spray shoots the jet over the roof, with only a tiny big hitting the rear window. I've tried sticking a pin in the nozzle, but it wont budge.
Normally all you need is a pin... just put it in the hole where the spray comes out of and move is whichever way you want it.
Rob123
Getting There!

Post by Rob123 »

i think my pump is broken, i have tried pushing the pipe back into the pump (in the engine bay) but it doesnt seem to stay :cry: is it supposed to simply stick back in, or is there some sort of technique? should i ring up the bastard vw dealer and give them a good old shouting?
xx_loopy_xx
Silver Member

Post by xx_loopy_xx »

Yeah go on.... shouting at Volkswagen it fuuuuun! :lol:
Ricochet
Getting There!

Post by Ricochet »

Buzby wrote:As Ive found out the hard way there are connectors in four places that will pop off :evil:

They are:-

1 - Underneath the ABS Gubbins in the engine bay (L/H Side).
2 - In the boot next to the Seat belt reel on the left hand side (behind the carpet and just above a pair of electrical connectors)
3 - At the top of the rear pillar L/H side just before it goes into the rubber Boot to the hatchback
and finally

4 - Inside the hatch - the connection onto the wiper motor.

I think thats all... :D

Cheers for that solid info , is that the order to investigate in, and is there much trim to remove (he says with only a slight worry ?
)
Buzby
Sponsor

Post by Buzby »

hi Ricochet...

They are all awkward to get to, but i would check the connector behind the carpet in the boot as this is easy to get at. Then the connector in the engine compartment under the ABS pump. On my 1.9tdi i took out the air cleaner which made it a lot easier to get at (a pair of long nosed pliers can be used to reconnect the pipe if your fingers wont reach).

If thats ok then To get at the ones in the rear pillar and hatchback you will need to remove trim. Not too difficult but you need to take your time and not force anything as you may break too many of the clips.. :D like me :mrgreen:
Ricochet
Getting There!

Post by Ricochet »

It was the connxn in the boot lid ,

my brain had finally dropped into gear and I put the rear wash on , looked for leaks and there was the water dribbling out .

I had to get someone else to wrench the trim off , cos it kept snapping my fingers !

taped the tube back on , lubed the clips so it may come off easier if theres a next time and banged the the lid back on .

I like these cheap repair jobs !!

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP
Buzby
Sponsor

Post by Buzby »

One more thing I'd add,

One of the main reasons they pop apart in cold weather, is when (like me) you put plain water without any screen wash in.. :mrgreen:
SamY
Getting There!

Post by SamY »

xx_loopy_xx wrote:
SamY wrote: Does anyone know if its possible to adjust the direction of the spray? right now my spray shoots the jet over the roof, with only a tiny big hitting the rear window. I've tried sticking a pin in the nozzle, but it wont budge.
Normally all you need is a pin... just put it in the hole where the spray comes out of and move is whichever way you want it.
Thanks, I tried again with a bigger pin and it worked a treat.