engine sounds like diesel

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
titch
Bronze Member

engine sounds like diesel

Post by titch »

since i got my polo, the engine has sounded like a diesel, anyone know what the problem could be :(
dubpilot
Bronze Member

Post by dubpilot »

welcome to the diesel sounding polo club, ive seen this question come up so many times and no one has been able to shed any light on it. ive come to the conclusion that its a factory born disease that all 1.0/1.4 mk5 polo's inherit later on in their lives. mine sounds like a diesel so does a friend of mines, still hoping someone can save the day and provide an in depth explanation. dont think you get any from the supposedly expert VW garage.
smash_it_up_666
Silver Member

Post by smash_it_up_666 »

yeah mine sounds like a diesel as well :roll:
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Mine sometimes sounds like a diesel on startup, just for a couple of seconds! I have read that its the exhaust rattling on its brackets as the engine is fired up? It soon stops and normal service is resumed :)
Demo_202
Getting There!

Post by Demo_202 »

I get the diesel noise too, just none of the benefits like good fuel economy
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

yep same here, mine sounds like a diesel on start up most times!
Weedle
Silver Member

Post by Weedle »

Hate to seem like a sheep but yep mine does aswell - ive read elsewhere on other forums that its an endemic trait in VW Polos !!

Looks like we just have to put up with it !! :(
Nickfowke86
New

Post by Nickfowke86 »

yup same here!1.4 mpi sounding like a tractor! Had people asking why i bought a diesel polo! Don't like answering that question any more ! :evil:
danny_boy
Silver Member

Post by danny_boy »

yea this is what mine sounded like, its piston slap and its a common problem with the polo's.
the people told me the surface wears off the piston easily which gives it some play.
luckily my polo is under warrenty so i took it back and after abit of arguing they gave me a whole new engine and fitted it for free of charge :D
that will teach em!!!
Bran
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 1.2 TDI 2012

Post by Bran »

Noooooo !!!

i hate that question - so many people have asked it me.

NO ITS NOT A FRICKIN DIESEL
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

It's not just me then, only does it every now and again and lasts about a second before nicely purring :lol:
titch
Bronze Member

Post by titch »

danny_boy wrote:yea this is what mine sounded like, its piston slap and its a common problem with the polo's.
the people told me the surface wears off the piston easily which gives it some play.
luckily my polo is under warrenty so i took it back and after abit of arguing they gave me a whole new engine and fitted it for free of charge :D
that will teach em!!!
i got a warranty with my polo - but i think its got like a 750poound limit on it - so i dont think that would get a new engine. lol
hopper
New

Post by hopper »

my lady has recently brought a 1.4 16v polo and hers is the same
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

mines is exactly the same! its worse when the engine is cold and seems to get a little less noisy when its warmed up.
i'm prety sure its the tappets and they are not fixable or adjustable! so you just have to live with it i'm afraid! :oops: its pretty embaressin i know!
polopaul
Bronze Member

Post by polopaul »

yep my 1.4 mpi sounds like a tractor untill im moving. and it looks like one ridin high on 17s! and its probably not much quicker than one either lol