Newbie Needs Input!!!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Jabemeister
New

Newbie Needs Input!!!

Post by Jabemeister »

Hi! new to mk1's!!
getting an R reg mk1, wonderin what year it is??(It's got chrome bumpers).
Wondering what size engines they made them in, and whether bits are inter-changeable with mk2's.....say i needed to fit new suspension, would i choose lowered/uprated from a mk2..say G40?
How reliable are engines, will they run on unleaded,what insurance group are they?
Too many questions!!!! Sorry...but just gotta know!!!
Cheers for any info!! :?
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

I was hearing that they changed from chrome to plastic in the new year of R plates. I can't recall the year but you got an early one.

Any suspension up to 1994 (last MK3 Polos) will fit IIRC, so G40 stuff will fit, like coilovers ;)

I'm sure the engines are as reliable as the bodywork (which should be good :))
Jabemeister
New

Post by Jabemeister »

cheers for info, recon it's about a 77....will know soon when i pick it up!!!! :D
Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

Pics required!

Hi, Polo sounds good and R-reg is indeed '77 so it should have chrome bumpers, smaller grille etc. They run fine on unleaded and came in engine sizes of 895cc and 1093cc as well as a rare swedish one I think which is about 795cc or something!

They are a very low insurance group, not sure which one but you can insure them cheaply on classic insurance. Try HIC as they have given me a good quote to cover mine.

Parts on later Polo's are interchangable yes, things to look out for are rust on the wheel arches, sills, rear axle mountings, fuel filler neck etc. What colour is it? Hope it's not yellow 'cos then I'll be jealous!

Good luck with it! :D
Jabemeister
New

Post by Jabemeister »

Cheers for info Stu!
I think it's an 895cc model, it's red(sigh of relief Stu!) and has the chrome bumpers. Not got it yet.......but getting it soon!......will post a pic when i do!!!!!
Yeh will give Herts a ring, seeing as im already insured with them for me valver. Any idea if a 77 would be tax exempt yet?
All info appreciated!!
Thankyou please!
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

it should be... i think
Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

Jabemeister wrote: Yeh will give Herts a ring, seeing as im already insured with them for me valver. Any idea if a 77 would be tax exempt yet?
All info appreciated!!
Thankyou please!
Won't be tax exempt as the rules now state that only cars before Aug '72 qualify, it used to be if they were 25 yrs old instead - bummer eh? :?

I insured my Polo (high performance 1093cc model! :wink: ) yesterday with HIC - just over £200 on a classic policy but that included my g/f as a named driver who hasn't passed her test yet so you might get it cheaper. Yeah - post some pics, sounds cool! 8)
Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

Oh also, I've got a road test on an R-reg 895cc polo N in a 'practical motorist' magazine from 1977 - that's a yellow one and it looks SO cool!
I might scan it in and post it up if anyone's interested?

They seem to rate the Polo quite highly from what I can gather, even think the brakes are ok! :shock: ... maybe in '77 they were! :wink:
Jabemeister
New

Post by Jabemeister »

Thanks 4 replying Stu!...yeh post me that review if ya can, be interesting to see it, (or even scan it up 4 everyone). Bummer about not being tax exempt....oh well shouldn't cost too much to tax.
I haven't driven one yet, but recon it should be a sturdy little thing to drive, kinda like a mk1 golf????

jjmook@hotmail.com

Cheers!
Stu
Getting There!

Post by Stu »

Yeah, Mk1 Polo's handle a bit like a Mk1 Golf (like a go-kart!), if anything the steering is better, well it is from my experience anyway. It's quite light and very precise. The brakes may take a little getting used to though.... no servo required :shock:

I'll scan that review when I get chance and post it up! :D