TROUBLE STARTING

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
VDUBGTI
Bronze Member

TROUBLE STARTING

Post by VDUBGTI »

sometimes my polo doesnt want to start, keeps trying to turn over but not actually firing up. I have changed the plugs i think it may be the fuel filter but wanted to check if any of you guys have any ideas
hex_da_rex
New

Post by hex_da_rex »

May be dirt build up in the throttle body. Not 100% sure though. Please correct me if i am wrong.
jimmadee
New

Post by jimmadee »

Have the fault codes read at your local garage.

Could be engine one of the various sensors (eg timing), hopefully its not.
PoloGti_88
New

Post by PoloGti_88 »

maybe ignition barral? my wasnt starting, thought it was starting motor, but it was the ignition, common fault i`ve been told
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Ignition switch failed on mine. Caused intermittent startup problems where I'd turn the key and 'nout would happen, just silence, it wasn't even trying to start, no noise at all. Then 10 minutes later if I tried it again it would start! :?
hot_polo
Bronze Member

Post by hot_polo »

Si_GTi wrote:Ignition switch failed on mine. Caused intermittent startup problems where I'd turn the key and 'nout would happen, just silence, it wasn't even trying to start, no noise at all. Then 10 minutes later if I tried it again it would start! :?
yep same with me, £10 squid for the fiddly thing - and a £90 bill for 2 hours labour fitting it in :?
J-GTi
Bronze Member

Post by J-GTi »

I'm having the same problem!

It's trying to start but doesn't fire, not all the time either just randomly :roll:

Any ideas folks?
TheEggShell
Getting There!

Post by TheEggShell »

Mine has been playing up a bit aswell :roll:

Occassionally the key will only turn so far as to turn the electrical instruments on but wont actually turn all the way round to start the car!?!

I took it to a garage where the mechanic seemed stumped by the problem.

He mentioned about the ignition switch being prone to fail but he said if your car won't start, turn the key and give it a wiggle at the same time if this fixes the problem then it is definitely a faulty switch.
Ry`
Getting There!

Post by Ry` »

Mine plays up too. Sometimes is starts 1st time, sometimes i need to try twice but one in every 20 try it wont start. It fires up but doesnt start. Changed the plugs, so thats not it. Gonna change the HT leads when i've got some spare cash. But if anyone has any other ideas, let me know.

It drives me insane!