Gearbox Problems

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
AJ
New

Gearbox Problems

Post by AJ »

I have recently purchased a B reg Coupe S. The only niggle I have found with it is that sometimes i cant select first gear. I have to put it into second, then try and slide it up into first without going into reverse.

Can anyone suggest how i can fix this as it is becoming a real problem on hill starts!!!

Cheers

AJ
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Try getting the gearbox oil changed, or worse - the gearbox could be on its last legs. Get a garage to have a look at it.

btw
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

if u can slide it straight into reverse sounds like the linckage may be needing a change! or something along those lines, its the bit that means u have to push down on the gear lever and then push it across into reverse! they are easy to replace and may stop the problem with first gear. my old mk2 had the same problem when i first got it and that was one of the first things we did!
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Whenever you problems selecting gears (unless its REALLY) serious I always recommend changing the gearbox fluid before taking any further action. You'd be amazed how many people overlook this.
madmatt

this will sort it

Post by madmatt »

its your gate miss aligned needs adjusting :shock:
not to hard to sort out