What Mods have you done to your GTi?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
StevieB
New

Post by StevieB »

Stevie

Could I make a suggestion?

Have you thought about removing your rubbing strips down the side of your car?
Oh Yes!

I sure have!

Not gonna leave em off tho, im putting on some colour coded Mk5 Jobbbies (same as on your GTI) because i know some stupid bint will open the door of her astra/metro etc into my nice smooth doors :x

At least with the strips on, it will only need a new strip and the cost of painting it to replace, as apposed to a whole door respray!!

Cheers For the advice tho - will put it to good use when i get em off!
Polo17
Getting There!

Post by Polo17 »

hay tas when did u get the ronal turbos..they look sweet!
mk4polo
Getting There!

Post by mk4polo »

Tas, what happened to the old wheels? the turbos look ace! :D
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Holy S! Your GTi IS PHAT!

Right, I want to know the following:

How much were your coilovers inc fitting & VAT?

Who did your bad-boy? How much bad-boy is there and what is it made of? If you don't mind telling me... How much?

Anyway, The RT's look amazing, are they 15"s?

I want to slam mine on the BBS's, I wonder what the ride quality of the H&R's is like? (Bear in mind I do a LOT of B-Road driving)

The Short Shift is made by B&M (I think they're the Short Shift Daddies from America). As far as I know, mine is the only Polo GTi in the country with one on... I got it from my friends at JBS Auto Designs in Chesterfield (01246 550 400 - http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk). I think they charge £160 inc everything fitted. It makes a HUGE difference to the feel of driving it, makes it feel so much more sporty, really notchy feel to it and is about 40% less throw even though the stick is the same length. It really is the boy!

Give them a ring and say that I recommended them.

Hope you can answer my questions above!

By the way... Do any of you Polo GTi owners want an "@pologti.com" email address? Let me know.

I am in the process of starting up a pologti owners club. I bought http://www.pologti.com for that purpose, but for now it is just forwarded to this site.

Have fun and drive safely... It's foggy out there!
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Tas

The Pagid Fast Road pads are great.

My originals wore down to metal with no prior warning, and as the calipers are pretty beefy, you can't see the pads very well to check them.

Anyway, I stopped using the brakes as soon as I noticed there was something wrong (used gears and handbrake - scary, not recommended!) so there was no damage done to the disks.

JBS offered normal Pagid pads (which are OEM - used as standard) or the fast road pads for something like £10-£15 more. I went for the fast road ones and I'm well glad I did. They seem to like being hot, and bite like a rabid pit-bull... not had any fade since fitting them and I don't hang about!

I agree that the original pads start to fade pretty easilly, this has sorted it out. The only other mod I want to do is fit goodrich braded brake hoses, they are meant to be the boy.

Anyway, I'm happy with the brakes for now. Might get drilled/grooved disks when mine need replacing.

I'm going to hold off getting an induction kit I think, if anyone does a panel filter that will fit into the air box, I'll get one of those. I might have a word with my mate at Ram Air, see if he'll do one.

I really like what you've done to your car, it's great! I need to lower mine now!
blackpologti
Bronze Member

Post by blackpologti »

RIght first things first. Ive gone thru a few sets of wheels and these ronal turbos have been my favourite definately. THe first was the original bbs 6x15s, then it was a set of 9x16 keskin klassics - looked phat but just didnt really like em that much. Now these 7x15s ronal turbos. Gonna do something to them to make em a bit different. Using a 28mm offset on rear wheels to space them out some more to give it a wider track and fill the arches some more.

THe H&r Coilovers are about 890 fitted i think. got them done at R tec in St Albans who did a pukka job. Ride is stiff to say they least and makes the gti into a little go kart. - wikid fun but be careful on bumpy roads.

My bad boy bonnet and smoothed tailgate were done badly and are showing sinkage now. Wouldnt wanna recommend the company to do it. Is made of metal. Can recommend a a really good bodyshop called Type K Styling on 07763850143. Ask to speak to the boss, Karthik and tell him that i sent you. SHould be able to give u some prices and help.

Thanx for the info on the short shift and pads- will probably be looking into that when i got the cash for them both. :)

Tas
mk4polo
Getting There!

Post by mk4polo »

Tas, last time i saw your car, it had the keskins on, that was at guildford cruise about 2 months ago. they looked SOOOO phat! i love the RTs tho, they look wkd!
Ian's GLX
New

Post by Ian's GLX »

WOW, I can't believe how much the ronals suit the car! They look mint!

My mates got a set on his mk2 golf and when I tried them on my polo they looked pant, but on your black gti they look great, I bet it's got something to do with the ride height tho :D
blackpologti
Bronze Member

Post by blackpologti »

i liked the keskins but i LOVE the ronals!!!!! so much better. Just wait till the car is finished!!!!!! The wheels will be played with too to make them different! :p
TAS
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Old alloys are for sale now, make me an offer.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

[quote="Karl.carr"]Old alloys are for sale now, make me an offer.[/quote
What are the tyres like?

I'm no good at making offers... Let me know how much and I'll say yes or no.
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

The tyres are in decent condition, but the wheels are a bit scuffed (Lee Rastrics contrbution to the Polo, not mine!) so about £300 inc tyres, come and have a look if you want.

I'll have a @pologti address please! i know mines not a GTi yet, but when finances allow a G40 WILL be landing.

Also, ALL old ice (apart from box) is for sale, about £300 (ono) for lot. (FYI it includes Kenwood CD unit, Jensen door speakers, Alpine shelf speakers, 12'' Rockford, 2 x 8'' free air Longmills, V12 2 channel amp + pioneer 4 channel amp plus whatever wiring i've got lying about)
tigor
Bronze Member
Drives: 2012 9R

Post by tigor »

I love the idea of the short shift. The feel of the gearbox is one thing I have to fault on the car. You can move the gearstick so much from side to side when it's in gear and I find when I accelerate quickly the gearstick moves slightly. Not out of gear but just a nudge out. My uncle had an Impreza P1 which had the nicest gearbox. The distance between gears was tiny. Gorgeous!
o c t a n i u m
New

What makes a gti a gti?

Post by o c t a n i u m »

is it just the badge? that vw puts on selected models?
what makes them different? :shock:

Does a gti have to be born a gti? or can one make it such a model? :?
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi Octanium

The GTi is usually the top of the range... (on newer golfs however, this is not the case... V6 4Motion and R32 are the range toppers)

On MK1 and MK2 Golfs, Lupo's and MK5 Polos (Designated 6N2) the GTi is the top of the range car.

For Polo's the only GTi to be sold in the UK was a 6N2 year 2000-2001 model (MK5) Polo. In Germany (not sure about the rest of europe) there was a 1998-1999 6N (MK4) Polo GTi which had the 1.6 16v 125Bhp engine.

The UK Specification 6N2 (MK5) Polo GTi has the 1.6 16v 125Bhp engine with variable inlet timing and "Drive by Wire" throttle. It also has the following which make it more or less unique in the Polo world...

AS STANDARD:

15" BBS Split-Rim Alloys
10mm Lower than standard
Mesh Grille
Xenon Gas Discharge Headlights
Deeper front bumper (fender)
Deeper side sills
Uprated Gas Shock Absorbers
Cable-Change Gearbox
VW Climatronic Climate Control (Automatic Air Conditioning)
Leather Gear Knob
Leather Stearing Wheel
Leather Handbrake
Sports Seats (Both Hight Adjustable)
Chrome Instrument Surrounds
VW Gamma Stereo with 6 Disc Changer and 6 Speakers
Alarm with Interior Protection

Front Fog Lights
Electric Windows
Remote Central Locking
Electric and Heated Wing Mirrors
Colour-Coded exterior parts (Mirrors, Rubbing Strips Etc...)

Leather Interior was an option.

The Polo GTi was a limited supply vehicle, therefore you do not see many of them on the roads... My dealer only sold 4 or 5 new.

The specs are 0-100km/h (0-62 Mph) = 8.9s
Top Speed 127Mph (I don't know what this is in Km/h)

Therefore...

The Polo GTi isn't just a badge :D and no, you can't really make a normal Polo into a true GTi (although you can make them look fairly similar - see Tigor)

The price new for a Polo GTi was over £14000 UK Pounds (ie. over 216,365.88 ZAR South African Rand!)

I like mine!

Hope this is enough information for you... If you need any more, just ask!