My 1.2 9n

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
black-a4
Getting There!

My 1.2 9n

Post by black-a4 »

Hi all, i have been reading these forums for around 3 years now, but never posted! They have supplied me with a whole host of information which has been extremely helpful.

I have been driving a 2002 1.2E 55 for the past 3 years,which has been totally standard until recent months.

Here is how it looks today.

18" Audi Avus style replicas. (found on audi S4) with 215/35/18 tyres.

All comments welcome
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

nice :wink:

welcome!
abdnmoh
Bronze Member

Post by abdnmoh »

cool alloys..never seen the Avus's with the vw badge 8)
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

looking good of course 8)

any problems with the wheels?
LowPoloCo.
Silver Member

Post by LowPoloCo. »

hey, car looks awesome mate! :P

ive got a 1.2 55E aswell, but its on 14" steels,

do you have any significant problems with speed loss and speedo re-cal?
FaMeL
Bronze Member

Post by FaMeL »

Looks nice!

But...18'' on a 1.2? Does the car moves?
mc_iver_9n
Gold Member

Post by mc_iver_9n »

Nice mate, could do with some lowering. Also what colour is it? Green? Navy Blue? Grey? or Black? lol
black-a4
Getting There!

Post by black-a4 »

Thanks for the comments guys. The car is actually green (oceanic green), I aint seen many on the internet, and only a few locally (usually driven by OAP's!!)

Surprisingly the car does actually move but with a standard 0-60 of 17.5(ish!)with the steelies, id say the 18's have added a few secs ontop of that!
But i aint got any points on my liscense! lol!!

If you roll one of the old steelies up beside the 18's, the overall diameter is only about 5mm greater. I know this can make a significant difference to the car, but so far the speedo is still acurate.

I got the 18's rather than 17's cus I plan to change cars in the future to a mkV Golf. (the alloys are double drilled 5x100 and 5x112)

Has anyone else on here with 18's ever encountered any problems, with suspension or ride etc?
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

FaMeL wrote:But...18'' on a 1.2? Does the car moves?
:lol:

Looks very good on those wheels mate. Have you thought of a dark grey/black interior mirror? It does stand out a little bit, but then again it depends upon the rest of your interior. :)
steve__30
Getting There!

Post by steve__30 »

when i had 14" steelies the speedo was about 3mph to fast, now i have 17's the speedo is bang on :P so i wud have thought its about the same as 18's
black-a4
Getting There!

Post by black-a4 »

I think the speedo is still acurate, as i have followed a few of my mates down the road at 30, and they haven't pulled away from me and i have gained on them!

But does it become less accurate with speed? The majority of my driving is on motorways, and i just hope that 70mph isn't actually more!

As for lowering the car, i'm still unsure! I really want it to sit lower, but don't want to compromise the ride, as the 18's obviously don't ride well over potholes! But i would consider H&R 35mm lowering springs, as I've seen a few 9n's on polo9n.info with them.

This car has has 18's with H&R springs

As does this one

But insurance is also an issue, I'm 19 and share the car with my wee bro how has recently passed his test.
Chris SDI
New

Post by Chris SDI »

Ive got my polo 0n 18s also and lowerd 40mm it does not rub or scrub unless you hit a pothole goin about 40 then the drivers front wheel hits the arch liner but i rarely hit 40 with the heavy wheels :shock:.

Cheers Chris
black-a4
Getting There!

Post by black-a4 »

Thanks Chris, your car looks awesome. Love the colour, I think grey cars look sweet!

Have you ever had any issues, with ride quality? (are you on standard shocks rather than the sports?)

I see your looking to go lower at the back, so are you switching to coilovers in the future?
Chris SDI
New

Post by Chris SDI »

black-a4 wrote:Thanks Chris, your car looks awesome. Love the colour, I think grey cars look sweet!

Have you ever had any issues, with ride quality? (are you on standard shocks rather than the sports?)

I see your looking to go lower at the back, so are you switching to coilovers in the future?
i dont like my golf gti wheels at the mo im getting bored of the sdi engine so im looking to but a differnt car tbh im on standard shocks the rides not that bad but u can feel the big dips in the road etc i would get collies but my drives to steep :(