my distributor is dead updated

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
VII
New

my distributor is dead updated

Post by VII »

I was on my way home from work the other day (friday 13th) and my 92 polo coupe engine just died on me I waited for about 30min's for the RAC to arrive,

he did some test and told me the distributor had gone.:cry:

I got a new distributor put it on but no matter how hard we tried we just can't get the timing right. :? :(

I was then told I should of replaced it with the same bosch distributor that was on it in the first place because everything else was bosch.

The RAC man told me that the faulty distributor is common fault in polo’s is this true?
Last edited by VII on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoloPower
Getting There!

Re: my distributor is dead

Post by PoloPower »

Engine wise the only thing that has gone is my distributor cap .

Was running only half the cylinders for around 23 mins cougthing and spluttering ..

Diddnt stop like a fool and ended up finnishin the rotor arm off ..

Propper cheap fix though isnt it !
VII
New

update

Post by VII »

I got the bosch distributor today £92 put it on within 15 minutes. And I timed it by some photo's I took before I remove the old one.

and friend put a strobo timing light on and told me I got it spot on now thats what I call luck. :o

well she's running fine now just hope she stays that way :lol: :D
PoloPower
Getting There!

Re: update

Post by PoloPower »

£92 ! That is insane mate !

was it solid gold !

You want to get your stuff from GSF Car parts .. There all over the country and thats were the trade ppl buy parts from ...

I rekon i spent about £25 on mine with the rotor arm ! .

They are all parts form Germanny but you know there quality most the time better than the origional VW ...
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

The thing with gsf is that the parts dont always fit. they arent the same quality as from vag to be honest. We used them down the garage and sometimes wed have to mildly modify bits to fit. depending what it was and that.

Though it is scary how other big companies just use resprayed and labelled GSF parts and flog em on double the price.

Anyone heard of BP tuning? My boss's mate used to be one of their mechanics (hes the b*******s i migth add) and he told him that they just get all their stuff from BP and respray it.
PoloPower
Getting There!

Post by PoloPower »

Havnt heard of BP Tuning nopes ..

Havnt found too much of a problem with the stuff from GSF ...

Havnt really had to change anything tho as these little polos tend to be undestructable when you look after em properly ...

ANything majour and i go to CMS Central Motors Salvage ...

One cheap VW Golf and Polo Scrappy ... U want summit they have it .. Delivery too ..

Although i live like 2 mins away ... Always popping in to check out the new bitts and pieces ..
VII
New

update 2

Post by VII »

I got the first distributor from GSF in the first place and it was the wrong one and it was the only one they had or do.

so I got the complete bosch distributor + cap from euro car parts £92.24.
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

i wouldn't say CMS are particularly cheap, and anyway, all your doing is buying a second hand part as they're vw breakers!

i only buy genuine stuff, as you know its going to do the job right first time. I find GSf are good for cheap things like oil and oilfilters.
PoloPower
Getting There!

Post by PoloPower »

True .. Sometimes VW can be so extorsinate on prices however . With a little 1.0l like mine a second hand throttle body or Carb will do the job .. Cheap and chearfull i say .

Maybee with a G40 or GT you have to think about quality a little tighter dont want anything being week on those ... I know my 1.0 is pretty quick with a slight bit of engine work and a strip so your guys GT's and G40's must fly. Darn you ..