MKIV Exhaust problem!

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Dunc
New

MKIV Exhaust problem!

Post by Dunc »

Hi people,
been lurking for a while and searched the forums to no avail :x
Our S reg 1.4cl polo has recently had a full new exhaust system fitted, supllied by a local motor factors place.
We keep having problems with it blowing at the joints.The exhaust is supplied with 2 sleeve type things that couple up the sections? Is this right? Every other exhaust that ive had fitted on other cars normally comes with exhaust clamps where one section of pipe fits into the other.

Is it meant to be like this or is it the wrong system? We have tried paste and even sikkaflex to try and stop it blowing on the joints to no avail.It normally lasts a few weeks then it starts blowing ever so slightly again which drives us mad! :cry:
We have even considered welding the whole lot together?
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

duct tape?
Dunc
New

Post by Dunc »

i tried blu-tac but that didnt work! :roll:

Has nobody fitted an exhaust here?? :evil:
all i want to know is,is the sleeve clamp the usual on these polo pipes?And does anyone else have problems with them?

I get mad cos everytime it starts blowing she nicks my Evo and wont drive the polo until ive fixed it :twisted: :evil:
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

yes teh sleeve pipe is standard for the cat to mid pipe. then the exhaust is normally one piece from the mid silencer to tip

or if the back box was replaced you will have a join where the exhaust curves round the fuel tank.
twistedl
Getting There!

Post by twistedl »

from my experience I would never buy a cheap exhaust aggain the cheap parts never seem to fit properly mine always leaks how ever you join it, take it back and demand your money back because its not fit for the job.

I did this with a garage and got all my money back and then went to a decent garage