Gear Selecter Syncromesh

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
mwarner87
Silver Member

Gear Selecter Syncromesh

Post by mwarner87 »

i think this has gone in my GTi, (apparently common VW problem) im having trouble getting into first gear and keep setting of in 3rd, also when i change from 1st to 2nd and then 2nd to 3rd there is a clunking noise as if something is loose.

does anyone know if this is the problem and if its expensive to replace?

cheeers
garnier
Bronze Member

Post by garnier »

if the synchro's go then you normally get a crunch when changing gear. However, popping from in-gear to neutral while driving is also a sign the synchro's are worn. Not sure about your clunking noise tho.
mwarner87
Silver Member

Post by mwarner87 »

its as if something has disintegrated, someone else mentioned gearbox or engine mount,

the clunking noise is as if something is smashing onto the car/chassis, its hard to explain unless you drive it
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

It sounds like either the bush on the gear cable mounting bracket is worn or the rear engine/gearbox mount is gone. Most likely is the mount has gone, which, due to excessive movement, has either worn the bush or damaged a linkage cable. I'm currantly trying to locate a set of cables due to my rear mounting coming adrift and braking both. I have all gears bar 4th and the change is crap.
mwarner87
Silver Member

Post by mwarner87 »

wasnt the syncromesh after, just a loose bolt, thank god for that!! all sorted again :D:D:D:D:D