Advice on Air Filters

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
sagaris
Getting There!

Advice on Air Filters

Post by sagaris »

Hi,

Could some one give me some info on different types of air filters, pros and cons etc?

Which ones are the best names and prices?
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

Do you want a plain panel filter or a complete new induction kit type thing?

Many of the oily gauze filters such as K&N were often blamed for premature MAF failures so be careful with them. Green filters were always the recommended ones for VAG cars as they aren't so oily.
I prefer to stick with the stock paper item as my car isn't highly modified, just replace it every 10k or so before it gets too dusty and it will still be flowing pretty well. You can always stick on a PD160 kit from a SEAT if you want slightly better airflow to the standard airbox, and the air-inlet for this can be drilled out more for even better airflow, but if you do this make sure you clean your airbox regularly as it can now suck in a lot of flies, junk and even water.

With incuction type kits you want to keep as much hot engine bay air away from the filter and tubing so make sure you look carefully at where these bits route around the engine bay. Also don't have the air inlet too low if you drive in wet weather!
sagaris
Getting There!

Post by sagaris »

Yeah I was thinking of getting the PD160.

With a new induction kit, do I need to do anything after that?
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

No, the PD160 pipes and a panel filter should work fine if the car is not seriously modified.
Though as above I'm not really a fan of oily panel filters.
polo1.8t
Getting There!

Post by polo1.8t »

so you'd recommend a green filter for my GTi then? is it a complete unit? quick to fit, roughly how much?
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

i have a green filter in my gti coupled with the pd160 items and swear by it, airflow is fine and performance is good too, its not too oily as mentioned above and works well on my modified 20vt engine that is 215 bhp

induction kits make an awful noise and often make you look like a "boy"

with the good setup found in the pd 160 and a decent filter, all but the same figures and drivability can be achieved minus the silly induction noise