What fuel are you running in your beast?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

You guys down south are pretty bad for fuel prices. Highest I've paid for V-Power this year is £1.01/litre on my second last tank, its dropped back to £0.99 now
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

Mouse_GTI wrote:You guys down south are pretty bad for fuel prices.
Yes, fuel prices, house prices, we tend to suffer the higher cost of living. Shell V power is £1.06 where I live at the moment.
GTILass
Sponsor

Post by GTILass »

ive not seen shell v power, i think the nearest shell garage to me is dorchester :?

i know that bp's 98 is £1.09 though

i use whatevers going, no difference noted and i dont gain or lose any mpg however ive been running a dodgy thermostat for over a year so perhaps ill notice now its fixed :oops:
jonners_gti
Getting There!

Post by jonners_gti »

so, does using the more potent stuff make much of a difference?

does i matter if one fill up you use one and the next you use the other?

so far ive only used standard fuel, mainly due to the price. things have change since this post was started! normal unleaded is well over £1/litre never mind the special stuff!!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

you've done a good job churning up a load of old threads!!

If your going to use a more refined petrol, e.g BP Ultimate or Shell V-power, stick to it, you cant dibble dabble in half and half.

I changed over to 97+ ron (normally BP Ultimate) a few months back. Some say it's better for the engine, some say its a load of rubbish, personally i have noticed very very slightly smoother differences, and am more at ease with using it, rather than standard 95,
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

Tim_GTi wrote:you've done a good job churning up a load of old threads!!
Good to see someone actually using the search function for once!

But I would agree, there is no point switching between the two.

And as for whether using the higher grade stuff makes a difference, I believe it does. Go from some cheap normal unleaded to V-Power and you can tell.
jonners_gti
Getting There!

Post by jonners_gti »

i'm using normal stuff at the moment. just filled up this eve on way home from work. 41.6 litres - £42. fuel economy on this tank has dropped to 32mpg.

whats the potent stuff selling for a the moment? (or how much more than normal stuff is it in general?)
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

Always without fail V-power 99RON 106p

1.Power gains, not noticeable.

2. Engine runs noticeably smoother.

3. More miles per gallon.

The only way you can really extract more power from the higher octane, in a car like the GTi is to have a remap, to alter the ignition timing etc.

Only the expensive sport cars, such as the newer EVO or WRX have ECU's that adapt to the higher grade stuff automatically.
MaxZ
Platinum Member

Post by MaxZ »

Mine always run on the 99RON, MPG I've managed to get out of it has been 42+ on motorway journeys. In terms of power never really considered putting in 95 unleaded.
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Think I've put normal unleaded in twice during the whole time I've owned mine, and that was for motorway miles. Didn't notice a drop in performance but probably because my engine is free of deposits after using V-Power so long
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

Always V-Power. So damn expensive at the moment though :x
Dee-vub

Post by Dee-vub »

I dont care that much really, not noticed anything in performance or fuel efficiency!

I'm sure it is healthier for the engine, but serviced regularly, its hardly going to make much of a difference!

I'll be using it on the VR6 though!
JPR_polo_gti
Silver Member

Post by JPR_polo_gti »

Tescos's 99ron for me everytime, get 5p off a litre with every shop over £50 which is every week lol
nogwuy
Silver Member

Post by nogwuy »

i use v-power when i shop at rainbow (my local store has a shell garage attached to it) and get a 4p off a litre voucher (i also collect the drivers club points with shell). and i use tesco premium fuel (98-99 ron) when i shop at tesco and get a 5p off a litre voucher (plus the tesco clubcard points). basically the higher the octane rating the bigger bang it makes, and that means more responsivness and more mpg (in my experience anywhere between 20 and 50 miles more per tank) and if you play smart with the vouchers and point scheemes it needent cost much more than the standard pish, and its better for your engine.
Rupy
Bronze Member

Post by Rupy »

Usually on V power unless I cant get any