Belly pans? VW's love of black plastic

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Phatman
Getting There!

Belly pans? VW's love of black plastic

Post by Phatman »

I was thinking of removing the plastic belly pan from my 16v to make servicing easier. I reckon it would circulate more air over the gearbox too. What do you reckon?
taylor86
Getting There!

Re: Belly pans? VW's love of black plastic

Post by taylor86 »

Phatman wrote:I was thinking of removing the plastic belly pan from my 16v to make servicing easier. I reckon it would circulate more air over the gearbox too. What do you reckon?
more air also equals more s**t gettin it there.........ur car ur decision but i wouldnt do it :D
dragon_green
Gold Member

Post by dragon_green »

More drag too.

What would you hope to acheive by having more air moving over the gearbox?
taylor86
Getting There!

Post by taylor86 »

dragon_green wrote:More drag too.

What would you hope to acheive by having more air moving over the gearbox?
^^^ true true.

guess mayb for cooling effects. but id say ud end up with a lot of trouble if you do it
twistedl
Getting There!

Post by twistedl »

dont think it makes 2 much diff most people who go low take them off I took mine off as I used to get tons of stuff stuck down there from dropping things. A fair few polos didnt come with them any way
Phatman
Getting There!

Post by Phatman »

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion it doesn't make much difference having it there or not. My last 6N didn't have one and I never had any problems at all. All my Golfs and Sciroccos never had them (apart from my TDi)
twistedl wrote:dont think it makes 2 much diff most people who go low take them off I took mine off as I used to get tons of stuff stuck down there from dropping things. A fair few polos didnt come with them any way
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

the 16v one actually channels air to the gearbox.

I'd leave it on. I cut a trap door in my 9N one to get oil out.

they make a massive difference to the state of the engine bay if you do a lot of miles. comparing an 8v mk4 to a 16v mk4 (with the pan) there was an unbelievable amount of crap getting in there.

it does help fuel economy and noise too.