Best Lowering Suggestions

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Best Lowering Suggestions

Post by racerjonzo »

Wats the best way to lower your car... heard a number of ways but not sure wat to do;

1. was to just cut original springs = cheap and effective but buggers the springs up eventually

2. was to get sports lowering springs = better than cutting the original and last longer

3. was to go for coilovers = which can be adjusted in hieght, but heard the ride comfort is a bit rough

any comments on this very welcome, and tell me wat your using or you would recomend, cheers again

as you can see from my sig. pic my car desperately needs lowering lol
thanks agen :)
Phatman
Getting There!

Post by Phatman »

Don't cut the springs! That's a pikey way of lowering. Lowering springs with matched dampers are the way. IMO Bilstein and Koni are best Evo are ok and FK are...average. Judging by your wheels adjustables might be a good idea unless you're rolling the arches. :D
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

everything u need to know mate http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... hp?t=32634

JUST DNT CUT YER SPRINGS!
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

coilovers. positive in everyway. exept price. any type of lowering makes the bumps feel heavier and the ride may feel rough ;) there expencive for one reason... there the best way.
adam_0612
Gold Member

Post by adam_0612 »

coilovers are definetley the way to go. you have to sacrifice a bit of comfort for a bit of style and handling :wink:
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

The worlds not perfect and you can't have everything :cry:

So you have to compromise between handling and comfort. The ower you go with whatever you use will bugger the comfort.

Get coilovers if you will adjust the height once in a while and drive around at silly heights. Get a suspension kit of dampers and springs if you won't ever adjust the height after the drop. Best to get 60mm kit if you do that cos its still practical enough. Paying for coilovers is silly if you'll never adjust them so why bother just because they're a better trendy mod?

It all depends on your personal situation at the end of the day.
racerjonzo
Silver Member

Post by racerjonzo »

Cheers guys, very appreciative, could you all tell me wat your running, so i can get a good idea....
ie the wheel size and then the drop youve done
cheers again.
and yes Phatman i wont cut my springs :)
and when yous say rollin the arches, i would assume thts like opening them up a bit to let the wheel actually roll?
Again thnks for the help, very good polo community here :)
Thats cause polos rule :D
Cheers
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

my old polo was on a suspension kit down 40mm on 195/50/15s. No problem whatsoever with anything as the car only came down to the ground to join other standard cars lol. Still left a hideous gap between wheel and arch so i'd recommend a lower drop.

My current polo sits on FK coilovers down 80mm on 195/50/15s. I'm having trouble with the tyres scrubbing against the inner and outer arch when I go over a piece of paper lol When flat there's no problems though but its not advised. Running 195/45/15s would irradicate this problem. Still have to drive slow enough to avoid potholes as usual and go over bumps.

You could push the arch out but its best to roll he edge of the arch so its curved. Then if the tyre does scrub against the arch it won't cut.
adam_0612
Gold Member

Post by adam_0612 »

as u have had coilovers on your polo and have probably experienced what i am about to explain please help :D

say u go over something and the scraping nosie comes from the bottom of your car scrapijng against something, is this going to damage my car alot?
obviously it carnt be good for it but is it anything serious
to enter my car park at school you have to go over a lowered pavement and the bottom of my car scrapes on that. I do go over realllllllly slowly!

???? :?
taylor86
Getting There!

Post by taylor86 »

COILOVERS FTW :D

get on2 jackson tuning on clubpolo.co.uk, can pick up the coilovers that im running for 215 delivered 8)

did have 60/80 springs and dampers on my 8v....was ok.

all in all id say coilovers.....rides harder but i like it :lol: and steerings way better than springs and dampers.

taylor

PS. DO NOT CUT UR SPRINGS
taylor86
Getting There!

Post by taylor86 »

adam_0612 wrote:as u have had coilovers on your polo and have probably experienced what i am about to explain please help :D

say u go over something and the scraping nosie comes from the bottom of your car scrapijng against something, is this going to damage my car alot?
obviously it carnt be good for it but is it anything serious
to enter my car park at school you have to go over a lowered pavement and the bottom of my car scrapes on that. I do go over realllllllly slowly!

obvisly scrappin the floor pan is a prob....but i woudnt worry about it toooooo much, and even less if ur goin super slow :D
twistedl
Getting There!

Post by twistedl »

I have KW V1 coilovers and the ride is prety dam nice with them but they are about£700 lol not that I paid that
dumdum
New

Post by dumdum »

twistedl wrote:I have KW V1 coilovers and the ride is prety dam nice with them but they are about£700 lol not that I paid that
i run a bilstein B10 kit which is 60/40mm lower front and rear, handling is awesome, as said, how often do ya wanna adjust your suspension will decide which style of kit you go for, deffo recommend dampers as well as lowered springs as opposed to just lowered springs tho

the billys turned it from a bit of a wallowing mess round corners to tight and turnable :)
NOZ
Platinum Member

Post by NOZ »

adam_0612 wrote:as u have had coilovers on your polo and have probably experienced what i am about to explain please help :D

The problem with mine is it doesn't even have a belly pan. for some reason the previoius owner got rid. Anyway just find out where it catches. Mine catches on the gas tank (which is silly as it could leak- or a spark exploding the car up in flames). I even feel the seat frame inside the car take a hit from the impact. Now this sometimes happens at super slow pace so mine actually needs raising a bit. I also had to change the front wishbones and bushes. However, whether the lowering contributed to that is anyones guess!

So my advice would be to check where the scrubage occurs, if its the pan just ride slow or raise the coilies a bit.