Good Bye my little Polo GTI

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Good Bye my little Polo GTI

Post by BeezerDiesel »

Yep, in a moment of rashness I've chopped the little Polo in against a Golf GTI mk5. Nothing to get excited about as it's just a pretty standard high mileage early one.
It wasn't done without a bit of reason though as the Polo gives me backache when I drive it in traffic, hence I've only done about 2.5k in the nine months I've owned it.
Really missing it already and felt dead miserable stripping the mods off it at the weekend, it's not often I get attached to a car but the little Polo has genuine character (especially with a few simple mods) but at the end of the day it was painful to drive. I can't put my finger on why but it was. Could be the drivers seat or could be the brake pedal/feel, on a motorway it was fine, but as soon as I hit any traffic it killed my lower back, and I don't normally suffer any back problems. :cry: And if I found a bit of windy road and had no passengers, then my back REALLY hurt as I blasted round bends on and off the brakes.

So a few photographs of how she looked just before I took the alloys back off. Ariel is already back to standard in the photos, and the steering wheel came out the following day. PD160 pipe removed and the new owner may have a little surprise in the engine department!!! :wink: She goes pretty well!

I've had about 20 odd cars in the last 20 years and the Polo with the few mods she had was up there in the top three I reckon, along with my much missed G40 I had many many years ago and the black 1991 8V Golf GTI I had just before that.

Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Ahh shame you had to let her go!!

Glad the little thing made such an impact on you :wink:
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

Yeah the thing really did make an impact on me.
Despite being basically just another car based on the Ibiza/Fabia/Polo platform it really had a bit of character. All it needed were a few subtle mods where VW deliberately dumbed it down (they wouldn't want it stealing Golf sales as the GTI is 5 grand dearer!).
It was the third 1.8t I owned and in the Polo it's very responsive even as standard giving the car a really peppy character, alongside the quick steering making it a very manoeverable little machine.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

sad to see it go mate! have fun with the golf :D
ihpj
Bronze Member

Post by ihpj »

Shouldn't the Golf GTi be as involving a drive as your Polo given that they are both in GTi trims? Altho' individual handling aside, you've just gone from a smaller GTi to a larger one?

Have to say though, your Polo GTi is the first 5 door variant I have seen - I much prefer the practicality of the 5 door.
insanekiwi
Getting There!

Post by insanekiwi »

Contrats on the move!

I would love to get a Golf GTI later on... Edition 30 would be ideal!

Just a question, do you have any of these parts for sale by any chance? Particularly the PD 160 intake?

Please let me know or PM me.

Thanks

Regards,
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

ihpj wrote:Shouldn't the Golf GTi be as involving a drive as your Polo given that they are both in GTi trims? Altho' individual handling aside, you've just gone from a smaller GTi to a larger one?
You would think so wouldn't you? But not really. The Polo was REVO'd and has a much better throttle response to the Golf plus masses more torque and much quicker steering. Added to that it's a wee bit lighter. The Golf will be fine once I've done a few tweaks to it I'm sure!

I prefer the practicality of the 5 door too, but only because I have a young family. I'd much rather have a Candy White three door with my Evolos on!
insanekiwi wrote: particularly the PD160 intake
All of the bits I took off the Polo will be going up for sale soonish. I have offers on the PD160 already but nothing concrete yet. Are they really hard to get hold of your side of the equator?
insanekiwi
Getting There!

Post by insanekiwi »

Hi BeezerDiesel,

I am always out for looking for a slight bargain, as shipping to New Zealand costs quite a lot as well. So if I get a second hand, it always works out to be slightly cheaper that's the main reason...

What sort of offers have u had so far?
I will try to match if possible...

[what else do you have for sale?]
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

Fair play, I'm a bit of a bargain hunter myself.
Looks as though a local lad is going to take the intake, but as you're such a long way away and can't get hold of the things so easy I'll give you next refusal if he messes me about in the slightest!

The other bits I have are the wheels, and no I'm not posting them 10,000miles!!! And shorter ariel, Talex Lite and I think that's about it, so nothing you can't pick up locally cheaper. :lol:
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

how much for the wheels and are they flawless or marked at all?
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

Blimey haven't you got enough wheels Jeff? I thought I was bad.
Yes the wheels do have a few marks but not kerbing. One has a small paint chip on a spoke and there may be a few more tiny stone chips. I am going to dig them out of the back of the garage later this week and touch up the paint with VW silver touch up then photograph them. They come with tyres but knowing you you'd change them anyway! 2 Falkens and 2 Kumhos all with loads of tread. Brand spanking new set of VW centres too. Price when I've had a really close look at them but will want as near to £400 as I can get, but I'm open to a bit of negotiation. Plus I've got someone else interested in them but he's overseas and I'm not sure yet on the shipping side.
insanekiwi
Getting There!

Post by insanekiwi »

Thanks Beezer ;-)

Let me know how you get on with that sale. I will be keen as being on waiting list.
polo1.8t
Getting There!

Post by polo1.8t »

those wheels really suit the Polo GTi, more so than standard! are they 17" inch?

congrats on the move, i was looking at a golf gti dsg before i bought my mini lol nice cars but i'd of wanted the edition 30 model.
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

I remember you mentioning the GTI DSG back along, and was surprised when you turned up with a MINI.
I'd have liked an ED30 too but as I only use the car occasionally I went for the cheapest decent one I could find! LOL Maybe an ED30 next when the prices drop when the facelifted Golf comes out. Nearly went for a DSG one but got a slightly better deal on this car. Needs a re-map to wake it up a bit though, DSG felt quicker.

The wheels above are VW Evolos, they're 7.5 x 17. I had a set on my mk4 Golf which then went on my Fabia vRS. When I got my Polo I started looking for another set. They don't come up for sale very often but they are my favourite VW wheel. They do suit the Polo perfectly IMO.

How's the MINI going? I love MINIs but having a growning family (and growing gut) means that it's not really practical unless I went everywhere with a roof box on! I suppose I could stick the kids in the roof box thinking about it..... :D
polo1.8t
Getting There!

Post by polo1.8t »

I was surprised too! I don't know whats wrong with me when it comes to cars...I've always stuck to cars within my budget (max 14k) so when I rung the BMW dealer to ask for details on this sexy Mini I saw parked on the forcourt (no price on the windscreen) got a shock *jaw dropped* when he confirmed the price...25k!!! I said *school girl giggle* that's a little out of my price-range. He offered an appointment to see him that lunchtime, I took him up, and the car for a day...which turned into two...nah stuff it ended up a week and a half!!! I was smitten by this time, mum offered to help out with the deposit and hey presto MJ is parked on my drive. It's one of a kind, fantastic to drive can keep up with most things on the road and is economical safe and very re-assuring through the bends. I'm not happy with 5th gears report on the Mini One saying it's sterile through bends, safe but not fun...who are they kidding, they actually drove one????

I am rather partial to my VW's tho dude and I guess you've got a very nice example...can you post some pics?
I've been slagged off so much on here, at work, at home (neighbours) that I drive a Mini (they're for girls)...glad I've got you on my side buddy to fend off these people! lol

I was really sad to see my Polo go all of about 2 secs...the Mini doesn't compare I'm afriad. I go visit the Polo parked on the forcourt with it's for sale sign every week just hope it goes to a loving home! hehe