golf rear beam?

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
dpower
Getting There!

golf rear beam?

Post by dpower »

anybody have any information as to how complicated a job it is to fit a rear beam from a 16v mk2 golf to a mk3 polo (g40/gt)
jonboy
Getting There!

Post by jonboy »

god knows?! didnt even know it was possible. why do yuo want to anyway?
dpower
Getting There!

Post by dpower »

yeh it is possible. the reason why we want to is because its the easiest and most sensible way round suspension and breaks. the rear beam from a mk2 allows u to have coil overs from a mk2 and discs all round. coilovers for a g40 are around a grand to my knowledge.
jonboy
Getting There!

Post by jonboy »

they've come down in price. seen them advertised for around £600 on clubpolo. you can fit golf coilovers to the rear of mk3s anyway and most of the braking is done by the front, rather than back. seems like a lot of hassle to me for not much gain.
if your good with a welder you can get a diy coilover kit, there is a guy on cp and retro-rides.com who owns a mk2 saloon and hes made his own coilovers
dpower
Getting There!

Post by dpower »

yeh i see what ur saying and 600 is a huge differnce. i suppose the decider is how much works involved. sourcing a beam should be quite cheap, fittings not a problem providing it's not too abour intensive. jus wanted to find out if its a case of a bolt on.
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

mk1 golf coilovers can be fitted to the rear iirc