Forge FMIC on

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Forge FMIC on

Post by Jeff GTi »

wow, what a boring day and what a let down forge initially looks like when you arrive, a groggy old building thats ran down and old fashioned

but then the door opens, to a modern and impressive little workshop with quality oozing from absolutely everywhere, and workmanship and knowledge to die for

from outside you swear you have arrived in hell, but the gates open to show off a very fun looking heaven

dropped the car off to chris lloyd, forge's delelopment manager at 8am and promptly got the car on to the ramps to hook up some probes to get some initial readings of the inlet and outlet temps for the car as it was on stage 2 apr software, initial results shown as the car was running at 60 oC on granny like driving and went as high up at 110 oC on flooring it, very hot indeed, and indeed much hotter than the stock car

after this we was dropped off in gloucester for the day, which is pretty limited in resources to kill time, but managed to kill about 4 hours before taking a long walk back to forge HQ

the car had taken shape well, and the intercooler was fitted, just requiring the bumper re fit to be done and for it to be re tightened, checked and tested, after a further hour the car was ready with the probes hooked up again we went and did the same 3rd gear run to the redline , the results were astonishing

the after results showed the car running at ambient temperature of just 22 oC on granny like driving and on flooring it went up to only 27 oC

now thats some pretty special difference im sure you will agree

the car feels more responsive and drives like its winter regardless of exterior temperature, it goes and goes, pulls like a train

there in no additional lag, if anthing we agreed after both driving it as there seemed less, so i went away a very happy bunny, also found my mpg to of increased by 3mpg on the retrn journey, which is normally worse, as its up hill coming back to the north

a few days on im really impressed with it, the map is adjusting to it niocely, and although it does not actually add power to the car, it does a fantastic job of replenishing the power usually lost by heat soak, giving you more umph where the car would normally start to suffer, as the cooler denser air aids a cleaner more efficient burn, in turn, adding to driving pleasure

the note of the engine is all but the same, but it is slightly more deep and growly, not a lot, but enough for the driver to notice it

the driving experience also seems smoother and more effortless, i have to say im most impressed

will be interesting to compare the stage 2 map rr run with the stage 2 + FMIC run when i next get back on the rollers, see if there is any visual difference to show of

all in all, its a great modification, reall worth doing, an all round cooling of temps by 40 oC is huge
so heres a few pics of the car at forge, not the best i know, but you get the idea

on the ramps

new vs old

the finished fitted product

on the rollers at awesome gti last week

hope this provides some help for people

jeff
Last edited by Jeff GTi on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

Cheeky question, but how much were u all in?

Been to gloucester 4 times last year thro work for courses ( well barnwood ). Didnt realise that forge was based there! Headin back down in november, will be flyin down tho, wish a was takin the car!!!!! Good nite out tho :lol:

Surely thats u done with the mods Jeff! :P
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

noice 8) its on my list as the next mod with my downpipe , prob after xmas now but downpipe at the end of the month! Looks good, ill be fitting myself though not going down there LOL
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

Quick off topic question, what do u use to clean ur wheels? :roll:
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

kenny,

paid 525 fully fitted, normal price is 599 plus 140 for fitting and no, thats not me done for mods yet mate im affraid, ill be uprating the pulleys with the cambelt change, changing my injectors for more flowing items and have the viper to go on yet too, then i think ill leave it alone for a bit

as for my wheels i just use a small sponge ang megs gold class car shampoo in luke warm water, and i muse megs number 21 synthetic sealer for protection

the kit will be available for retro fitting, but seeing how much of a ball ache it was to do even when you car get the car 6 foot up in the air good luck, it wont be a walk in the park, chris even says its one of the hardest kits to fit due to poor room, and instructions are still yet to be produced for self fitting, but will be available soon im sure
Sershen
Getting There!

Post by Sershen »

another off topic question...but what strut brace are you currently using, and where is it from, if you dont mind me asking?
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

That intercooler looks mean Jeff. Almost seems a shame to put the bumper back on.
The original one just looks so weedy and small in comparison, not wonder the temps dropped so much.

Oh and @ Sershen, I'm guessing it's a SEAT Ibiza brace (as they come in red).
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

CHEERS ALL, AND YEAH ITS A SEAT SPORT ONE WITH THE STICKER IN THE CENTRE REMOVED

CHEERS

OOPS ... CAPS
Forge Motorsport
New

Post by Forge Motorsport »

Jeff GTi wrote:kenny,

paid 525 fully fitted
:? :lol: :lol:

KennyPOLO-Gti - prices are as per our website, though if you can get 5 or more of you together we can drop the price for a group buy (saves us a LOT of time)
whitepologti - the kit is a real cow to fit. Im finishing the instructions today for a home fit, but you've got to have a decent toolkit with Torx drives, axles stands or ramps and a decent trolley jack. VW made some interesting build decisions on the Polo which makes it pretty tricky ! Reckon on 6-7hrs on your driveway. If you get stuck you can always give us a call.

Good news is we've had a delivery of all the custom hoses for this intercooler just now so aside from building the cores (lead time is 8 days-ish) they're ready to ship.

Any questions, email me.
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Post by kc »

Forge Motorsport wrote:
Jeff GTi wrote:kenny,

paid 525 fully fitted
:? :lol: :lol:

KennyPOLO-Gti - prices are as per our website, though if you can get 5 or more of you together we can drop the price for a group buy (saves us a LOT of time)
whitepologti - the kit is a real cow to fit. Im finishing the instructions today for a home fit, but you've got to have a decent toolkit with Torx drives, axles stands or ramps and a decent trolley jack. VW made some interesting build decisions on the Polo which makes it pretty tricky ! Reckon on 6-7hrs on your driveway. If you get stuck you can always give us a call.

Good news is we've had a delivery of all the custom hoses for this intercooler just now so aside from building the cores (lead time is 8 days-ish) they're ready to ship.

Any questions, email me.
2 words!

G R O U P B U Y !!!

hurray!! lol
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

Would love to get one but am off to Ibiza again in just ova two weeks so ma money is goin towards that. Sooooo jealous tho :evil: :evil:
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Post by kc »

aww whattt

i was counting on you to be one of the five man lol
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

what sort of discount are we gunna get then with a group buy, hope we get it for £400 8) I will be able to fit got my AA van full of all the tools you could ever need LOL and a nice big trolly jack and axle stands! If the discount is good im in on a group buy! :lol:
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Great work jeff. what are you currently pushing out then?
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

ill let you know thursday ;)

differences from last time will be a piper cross viper, and the forge front mount