gear knob removal ... how

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

gear knob removal ... how

Post by Jeff GTi »

how do you remove the stock gear knob in the gti

im guessing you need to remove the gaiter first, but i dont see how it comes off, and im not wanting to damage it as ill be re using it

many thanks

jeff
Sershen
Getting There!

Post by Sershen »

Not sure if this is any use?

OZPOLOGTI
New

Post by OZPOLOGTI »

http://www.kabeleins.de/auto/videos/son ... kel/09999/
Hope this helps its in german but shows u step by step. Cheers Rob.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe a bit late with this reply, but, anyway, first you need to raise the complete gaitor assembly. To do this this need to press forward the plastic frame inside the gaitor - it is retained in the console by four plastic tangs - so take care not to break them off - there are two at the front and two at the back - I'd press something in between the gaitor and the console, maybe about 1.5" in from both sides - then ease up the frame at the back then pull backwards to force the front out. Now you can see the gear knob, what you need to do now is to slightly open out the crimped ends of the retaining clip - take care not to break it as you will need to reuse it. I used two short smallish screwdrivers - after opening the clip up a bit you will be able to pull the knob up off the stick. There is someone on ebay that makes up and sells leather gaitors - I bought one for my wife's car and fitted it okay - only then discovered that my car 1.4SE was already fitted with a leather gaitor - but it was a bit too hard and looked like leatherette!

Hum, just looked at that site, its not too clear as to how the frame is removed - and wire cutters for the retaining clip - can't sell the old knob or refit it after doing that (jubilee clips will just destroy the leather), one other slightly tricky bit is removing the plastic clip from the base of the knob in such a way as tombe any to reuse it - it is possible tho!
whitegtipolo

Post by whitegtipolo »

that gear knob in the video is mint, bet it looks cool in the dark!
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Post by kc »

whitegtipolo wrote:that gear knob in the video is mint, bet it looks cool in the dark!
yeh but dude, look how slow it is at updating lol

if your on a mission and going up and down the gears, it'll still be registered as 1st gear when your on the way to 3rd hahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich_T
Gold Member

Post by Rich_T »

kc wrote:
whitegtipolo wrote:that gear knob in the video is mint, bet it looks cool in the dark!
yeh but dude, look how slow it is at updating lol

if your on a mission and going up and down the gears, it'll still be registered as 1st gear when your on the way to 3rd hahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol:
lol yeah kc it does update way to slow!! :lol:
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Just for your amusment, I bought a knob complete with gaitor off ebay very cheaply, my plan was to send this leatherette gaitor away so that it cold be used as a pattern by an ebayer that makes leather gaitors - I didn't fancy getting my original one wrecked being used as a pattern - or my wife getting grumpy about the big hole in the floor while this job was being done. Anyway, my ebay purchase arrived and the posty had what looked like three unsuccessfull attempts at ramming it through the letter box before taking it back to the post office. The bummer was that each time he tried to get it through the letter box yet another plastic tang snapped off the gaitor's frame!!! Just as well I was not planning to use it - that is why I was warning about snapping these tangs off!!