Engine Remap/Chip on a 1.4Tdi

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Teo10
New

Engine Remap/Chip on a 1.4Tdi

Post by Teo10 »

Hey guys, for all you with a 1.4 tdi out there...Considering getting my engine remapped/chipped soon...

Thing is im not sure wether to get it remapped or chipped, which is better? I heard with a remap if you take it to a VW dealer they wont be able to tell it has been remapped whereas with a chip they can..and what are the effects? does it ACTUALLY make it better on fuel consumtion(this is my exscuse to my mum for getting it done you see lol) and how much faster does it make the car go?

Thanks!!!

Teo10
pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by pip_polo »

why bother asking? get it done!!

mines gone from 75bhp to 107.4bhp

it pulls through all gears and is alot faster.

and i can get too and from work with 55+ mpg doing 70.
(over 30 miles ish)

overall its a good thing, i've got a custom code remap as they were on offer but remaps are better, and they store all the old mapping for the future if you want to go standard.. (don't know why you would though)

conclusions:
you got it done yet?? :P ha ha

do it
TDI_Burd
Bronze Member

Post by TDI_Burd »

have to agree with pip i love my remap i felt i got better mpg after i got remapped as well

Go get a remap its one of they things u will never regret lol

Plus the torque gains are unreal!!!!
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Have to agree aswell, loved mine all over again after the remap.
nickuk
New

Post by nickuk »

Hi,

Can you guys give the details of where to get a remap and idea of costs?

Sounds like a great idea :)
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

nickuk wrote:Hi,

http://www.custom-code.co.uk/

There you go mate.

With their 30% off promotion, it works out at just under £247, which is money well spent in my opinion.

Whilst I'm writing this, I may as well write about tuning the 1.4 TDi in general for everyones benefit.

Got it done back in March and it made a noticable difference. MPG is up when driven sensibly and pull though all the gears. Earlier on an abandoned runway, it would do more or less 80 MPH in 4th and wouldn't go near the redline. Now, it pulls right upto 4500+ RPM and (just) touches 100 MPH in 4th.

Overtaking on the motorway / A roads is where it's made the most difference. The mid range pull makes it effortless.

Not been on the rolling road yet, but I'm estimating 105+ BHP combined with my green cotton filter. There's more to be had, but that'll involve replacing the stock exhaust with a straight pipe from the catalytic converter, a PD160 intake and a stage 2 remap. That should see you to 115+ BHP.

If you've got money to burn, then you could go the whole hog, and add PD130 injectors and a turbo from say the 90 BHP audi A2, and you'll be looking at >125 BHP. Although more has been gotten out of them (circa 140 BHP by a guy known as 'teflon'...he used in addition to all the above, PD150 pistons, had some head work done and a different crank...also a hybrid turbo of some sort, can't remember which of the top of my head), these engines aren't as strong as the 1.9 TDis they're derived from and suffer from crank whip past 130 BHP or so. This causes the head to crack followed by "kaboom"....bye-bye 1.4 TDi :(

Also, keep an eye on torque levels. With TDis, drivability is greatly improved with an increase in torque vs an increase in BHP. eg, A car with 112 BHP and 180 ft/lbs of torque wouldn't feel as nice as one with say 105 BHP and 195 ft/lbs of torque. Also, bear in mind that the standard clutch can't handle much more than 210 ft/lbs reliably. More than this will cause it to slip and wear prematurely.

So as long as you're sensible, there's quite a bit to be had. Having said that, second hand PD130 injectors + turbo would set you back £400+

Also if you wanna go past exhaust + intake followed by a stage 2, bar acceleration, there's not much to be had at the top end neither speed nor MPG nor any comination of the two. The 1.4 TDi has quite short gear ratios, meaning it runs out of steam at ~115 MPH and even if you managed to somehow squeeze 400 BHP out of it (dream on) this wouldn't change. For the same reason, even with more power you're not gonna be able to cruise at 80 MPH down the A1 and get 50 MPG. The 1.9 TDi has longer gears and at higher speeds (80+) actually gives more MPG than the 1.4 TDi. The 130 BHP GT is even better due to its 6 speed box. It'd be interesting to see if it's possible to fit either of these boxes to the 1.4 TDi, because I think it'd benefit a remapped one crusing at 70 MPH.

Ash :)
Teo10
New

Post by Teo10 »

K.I.T.T. wrote:
nickuk wrote:Hi,

http://www.custom-code.co.uk/

There you go mate.

With their 30% off promotion, it works out at just under £247, which is money well spent in my opinion.

Whilst I'm writing this, I may as well write about tuning the 1.4 TDi in general for everyones benefit.

Got it done back in March and it made a noticable difference. MPG is up when driven sensibly and pull though all the gears. Earlier on an abandoned runway, it would do more or less 80 MPH in 4th and wouldn't go near the redline. Now, it pulls right upto 4500+ RPM and (just) touches 100 MPH in 4th.

Overtaking on the motorway / A roads is where it's made the most difference. The mid range pull makes it effortless.

Not been on the rolling road yet, but I'm estimating 105+ BHP combined with my green cotton filter. There's more to be had, but that'll involve replacing the stock exhaust with a straight pipe from the catalytic converter, a PD160 intake and a stage 2 remap. That should see you to 115+ BHP.

If you've got money to burn, then you could go the whole hog, and add PD130 injectors and a turbo from say the 90 BHP audi A2, and you'll be looking at >125 BHP. Although more has been gotten out of them (circa 140 BHP by a guy known as 'teflon'...he used in addition to all the above, PD150 pistons, had some head work done and a different crank...also a hybrid turbo of some sort, can't remember which of the top of my head), these engines aren't as strong as the 1.9 TDis they're derived from and suffer from crank whip past 130 BHP or so. This causes the head to crack followed by "kaboom"....bye-bye 1.4 TDi :(

Also, keep an eye on torque levels. With TDis, drivability is greatly improved with an increase in torque vs an increase in BHP. eg, A car with 112 BHP and 180 ft/lbs of torque wouldn't feel as nice as one with say 105 BHP and 195 ft/lbs of torque. Also, bear in mind that the standard clutch can't handle much more than 210 ft/lbs reliably. More than this will cause it to slip and wear prematurely.

So as long as you're sensible, there's quite a bit to be had. Having said that, second hand PD130 injectors + turbo would set you back £400+

Also if you wanna go past exhaust + intake followed by a stage 2, bar acceleration, there's not much to be had at the top end neither speed nor MPG nor any comination of the two. The 1.4 TDi has quite short gear ratios, meaning it runs out of steam at ~115 MPH and even if you managed to somehow squeeze 400 BHP out of it (dream on) this wouldn't change. For the same reason, even with more power you're not gonna be able to cruise at 80 MPH down the A1 and get 50 MPG. The 1.9 TDi has longer gears and at higher speeds (80+) actually gives more MPG than the 1.4 TDi. The 130 BHP GT is even better due to its 6 speed box. It'd be interesting to see if it's possible to fit either of these boxes to the 1.4 TDi, because I think it'd benefit a remapped one crusing at 70 MPH.

Cheers for that ash! Much appreciated. The bit I highlighted about the clutch and stuff....So basically the clutch will wear more if you keep rallying about and stuff? I mean if you constantly put the revs up to near the red then that will just burn out the clutch? Just had alot of trouble with clutch's in all my old cars :cry:

And I'm getting mine done at this place called Autohaus in edinburgh...Anyone else is edinburgh that hasnt tried this place give me a shout and I can get a flyer to you that gets you 10% off on your first visit...they are brilliant! guy has over 20 years experience as an audi master technician...anyway yeah....just a bit worried about burning the clutch out!
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

K.I.T.T. wrote:Now, it pulls right upto 4500+ RPM and (just) touches 100 MPH in 4th.
haha, i've gone to 90 in mine and i think any more it'l blow.
i'm sure it would do it but tbh i'd prefere to change at about 2.5k revs lol
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Haha, I don't drive like that on a regular basis...just wanted to see the difference before and after the remap. Normally, I change at around 2.5 - 3k RPM and like to cruise at 60-65 MPH in the inside lane, although I do occasionally like to give grief to reps driving previous generation 316/318is chatting on their phones whilst undertaking people at 90 MPH in the middle lane :evil:

Out of interest Phil, what sort of MPG do you get around town and a 65 MPH? I could probably get 55 MPG on a long stretch at 70 MPH on a flat surface, but I think I probably get 52ish. As long as I stick to the speed limit on the 100 mile drive between my home-home and uni-home, which involves A-roads, the middle of Harrogate and the A1, I get 55+ MPG. The best I've gotten was 59.9 MPG, but I reckon low 60s would have been possible if I did no more than 65 MPH.

Back on topic,
Teo10
To cut a long story short, no...ragging it near the redline for an extended period of time will do damage to any car. Diesel cars have a much different power and torque band than petrol cars. Maximum torque is achieved much lower in diesels...in the 1.4 TDi, around 2000 RPM and levels off and then starts to fall after ~3350 RPM and rapidly falls past 4000 RPM. So at the redline, there is comparitively little torque compared to say 2500 RPM. Basically, as long as you don't regularly dump the clutch you'll be fine :) Not even boyos in their Saxos dump their clutches often, so you shoud be fine.

Finally, you wont be driving it near redline all the time. Maximum acceleration happens when you shift at around 3500 - 3800 RPM, whilst redline starts at 4500 RPM. To be economical, I suggest shifting at no later than 2500 RPM. Normal driving, maybe 3000 RPM.

My driving style is much different driving this car as opposed to my best mates '53 reg 1.6 Golf. Even though her car has a similar output to mine, mine doesn't need to be revved as high if you want it to shift and will actually comfortably pull away due to the extra torque. She actually prefers mine :lol:

Get the remap done, and let us know how you feel.

pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

i have got 75mpg over a 100 mile journey. driving at about 55/60.

when i drove to Newquay (about 8 hours) i got an average of 60. that included about 50 miles at 110mph whilst the g/f was asleep lol other than that was a steady 70.

around town i get about 45/50. depends what/who is about.

the lowest i have ever had, driving like a madman, was about 25 LOL (some of these 20vt boys would dream of that :P)

yeah back to topic, just get it done :) lol
Teo10
New

Post by Teo10 »

Going to get it done middle of next week I think guys. Get payed on tuesday and need the rents to loan me until I get money back from my denplan :roll: Will let you all know how it goes once I have it done.

Thanks for all the advice!!!
Teo10
New

Post by Teo10 »

Got the Remap done earlier today!! All I can say is .... WOW!!! it is brilliant! makes such a difference to the driveability!!!

One of those pleasure pain things happened though :( A BUS driver knowing full well he couldnt get round me went into the side of me but luckily it only left a 3 small scratches which HOPEFULLY wont be too much to get resprayed :cry: Farking UNBELIVEABLE though, he had the cheek to start going mental at me! Im going down to the depot tomorrow and give them a peice of my mind!
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Take it the bus driver was at fault? *insert profanity here* happens, unfortunately...my car was reversed into by university staff only a month after I got the car...was tempted to do something nasty to her car but decided not to stoop down to her level :roll: One of the joys of motoring...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the remap :D

Just be careful with the right foot...temptation is an evil mistress :lol:

Any idea how many horses it's putting out?

jackthelad1990
Bronze Member

Post by jackthelad1990 »

Can u get a 1.2 remapped?
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

yes, but it's actually pointless. i think the 1.4 16v only gains like 10bhp, so a 1.2 isn't going to get much? (correct me if i'm wrong here)