Tyres and lowering

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
crodgers
Bronze Member

Tyres and lowering

Post by crodgers »

Havent been on in a while. Currently sitting on Estoril Alloys with 195/50/15 tyres. Really want to lower. But i havent got the money for coilovers at the min and need some bodywork done. So want something just to improve the stance of it for the time being. Any suggestions would be great! Il post pics later today of how it sits currently!

Cheers
adummy
Bronze Member

Re: Tyres and lowering

Post by adummy »

i dont advise this but if u really want to get a better stance chop a little bit of your springs to make them shorter

if you do this make sure you do it evenly and dont cut off too much

completely free to do but i wouldnt advise it
crodgers
Bronze Member

Post by crodgers »

Ano mate ive been told that before but dont fancy it myself to be honest lol. Was thinking about springs for the meantime. Maybe 40 or 60mm but not sure. heres how it sits at the minute. (Pic not the best as its not sitting on the flat).
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Just wait and save up mate. No point wasting money on something your later going to change. Get the bodywork sorted, and look at getting some 195/45 tyres. Then just buy coilovers when you can afford them.

you buy cheap.... you buy twice!
crodgers
Bronze Member

Post by crodgers »

I know bodywork sounds like me first thing on the list, its not much just bit of tidying up as there is a bit of colour variation from where the bump strips have been removed. And with the tyres im looking at 195/45s. The tyres on it are brand new 50s that i got when i bought the wheels. Excitement took over and a friend sorted them for me. Then next thing i knew they were on the car. Got me a good deal so couldnt really complain that id got the wrong type!
Is there any rubbing with 45s? On a full lock for example, as the 50s rub on the edge of the font mud flaps?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

crodgers wrote:
Is there any rubbing with 45s? On a full lock for example, as the 50s rub on the edge of the font mud flaps?
On standard height? none what so ever mate, not with those wheels. You'll have a fair amount of issues when lowering with them tyres.
crodgers
Bronze Member

Post by crodgers »

Ok Cheers for the help Tim! Went to a Bodyshop today to get a few prices for the work that needs done so all being well that will be gettin sorted in the next few weeks. Then going to Amsterdam in March so il need the money for there seeing that the old Euro rate is terrible at the minute. Then Il hopefully be getting the 50s off and 45s on. Any recommended places for good prices on good tyres? I currently have Pirelli P5000
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

mytyres.co.uk and blackcircles.co.uk are good mate.
crodgers
Bronze Member

Post by crodgers »

Cheers il have a look. Thanks Tim! Oh and the list of my bodywork has got a new addition. 1x Rear bumper. Tescos car park yesterday. a Corsa decided to reverse out and into the bumper of my 6n. But sure it wasnt there fault, there passenger said it was clear oh and why was i parked in that space anyway? :roll: Nuts!!!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

What? are they refusing to pay? Were you totally stationary?
crodgers
Bronze Member

Post by crodgers »

Yeah i was sitting getting ready to pull out then the car to my right went so i kept waiting and then i looked in my rearview and see this corsa starting to move so i still waited then next thing it was in my bumper! Going to take it and get a few quotes. Just the bumper cracked on one side. Going to get a quote and go from there. They kept saying it was like a 50/50. ?? . Strange somehow, they ran into me.??. Dont want any hassle because im still in my R plates so you kinda get branded as being inexperiened over here mate and the parents seem to want to get it fixed and not have any contact with the other car. But il wait and see what the next week brings mate!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

crodgers wrote:Yeah i was sitting getting ready to pull out then the car to my right went so i kept waiting and then i looked in my rearview and see this corsa starting to move so i still waited then next thing it was in my bumper! Going to take it and get a few quotes. Just the bumper cracked on one side. Going to get a quote and go from there. They kept saying it was like a 50/50. ?? . Strange somehow, they ran into me.??. Dont want any hassle because im still in my R plates so you kinda get branded as being inexperiened over here mate and the parents seem to want to get it fixed and not have any contact with the other car. But il wait and see what the next week brings mate!
Mate, if you were fully stationary they haven't got a leg to stand on!
crodgers
Bronze Member

Post by crodgers »

I know mate. Getting up to the body shop this week hopefully then il pass the bill on! But while its in i may aswell get everything done at the same time! On pricing tyres at the minute and may have a buyer for the 50s. So all going good! any reccomendations on Tyre Manufacurers?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Toyos are great for their price.