Replace coilovers?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Replace coilovers?

Post by Mouse_GTI »

My Konigsports are now 3 years old (first owner had them 8 months and I've had them the remainder). The handling is great obviously but I'm now getting sick of the harsh ride (must be old age!). They are set to the softest damping setting and the car is down 60mm. Is it probably time to replace them for something better soon? I'm on good money now in my new job so can afford the very best, but wouldn't want to spend more than 1k. Any alternatives with the same handling advantages and maybe a slightly less harsh ride? (or am I asking the impossible?)
chrisjames
Silver Member

Re: Replace coilovers?

Post by chrisjames »

What about these :P
Ian_R
Gold Member

Post by Ian_R »

Thing is buddy, as you said you want a smooth ride on Coils, They will never be as smooth as OEM Suspension, but then as you said you loose the Handling. Best to see what folk who run the More expensive kits have to say, Through a thread up on E38 - You'll get a better response, ie far busier site etc.

No point in getting something else if it's going to be the same harsh ride, but then again you won't know unless you have been in a car with them or get them on.

Ian
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

All I achieve when I set my Konigsports to their softest damping settings on the front struts is a truck load of bounciness when driving down A- and B-roads :( needless to say they have been placed on a much firmer setting for well over 18 months!
NFS
Silver Member

Post by NFS »

I have just replaced the springs on m9 and left the shocks the same. Would coilovers give a better ride than this setup?

I have fount these but do not know if they are any gud...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HighQuality-Coilo ... 240%3A1318
Nimma
New

Post by Nimma »

I have some of the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers:

http://www.streetandcircuit-shop.biz/ps ... 5730-p.asp

I think these are about as pricey as it gets (bought my car with them on). You may be better off with standard suspension and better swaybars/bushes? I would think it would be more frustrating going back to that type of setup though, coilovers are just so easy with getting the height right.