Charlie's SE binned - Replacement found!

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
charlievwp
Gold Member

Re: Front End Update - Possible dead polo pg3

Post by charlievwp »

Thanks for all the info guys...it all really helps. :wink:

Been to docs tonight and got some stronger painkillers - it'll all go on file for the claim.
I've had reports of people getting anywhere between £1200 and £2800 for relatively mild whiplash so far.

As I said earlier, the insurance company said they normally write-off at 60% of the car value
(which I research to be £8.5 to 9k) so i've gotta sit tight and see what happens.
60% of 8.5k is £5,100 so with repair value totalling up to £5,000 - it's a close call! :?

I've had real mixed responses and opinions off people thinking it will or won't be written off.
Maybe I should start a poll-thread LOL :lol: "Dead / Not Dead...... Click here to vote" :lol:
Silver Member

Post by 8080 »

Firstly the main thing is to look after the whiplash. I value compo claims for a living, big % of cases are ppl with back / neck problems after car crashes. Can't be too careful with the back / neck

I'd get the car written off if it was me, it'd never be the same to me if it was repaired. I'd be imagining it was pulling to the side, and I'd be blaming every rattle or squeek on the accident :lol:
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

it will get fixed mine was £7000 plus vat damage and its been fixed, more cars being fixed due to garages needing the work! :P
charlievwp
Gold Member

Post by charlievwp »

Good point there Chris...although mine's a 1.4 SE so the value of the car would be less than yours to begin with.
Think it'll depend on one insurance company to another too as some will write-off at 75% not 60% like mine.
I want her back though as depending on what repairs they'd do. I'm going to ring them tomorrowand see if they'll give me a list of the damages - may not want it repaired if they're too extensive structurally!
Gra-GT
Gold Member

Post by Gra-GT »

Bloody hell Charlie - only just seen this. Glad you're OK though.

I cant see the pics as I'm at work, and they dont show up here, so cant comment on those yet. But as for people saying you should hope its written off, as it will never be the same, I would dissagree. After it has been repaired, you can check it over and if it isnt to your liking then you can refuse it and get them to do it again. After my accident a couple of years ago, my car has been back 3 times (most recently last month) to get it right. The work at most garages is covered for 3 years, and just like buying anything new, if it isnt right, you can send it back and they'll redo it. I've been quite fortunate with mine, where the garage had a good bodyshop, and the colour match has been perfect each time, but if it isnt, just tell em to redo it :P

Mine was border line too (£4500 to repair), but I actually wanted it to be written off, as I had GAP insurance so would have had the full price I paid for it back, but you have put a lot of work into yours, so I would think you'd rather have it repaired :cry:
charlievwp
Gold Member

Post by charlievwp »

Thanks matie - you can't see the pics but she looks bit different to Sunday when you saw her lol.

Ok, little update....

I called the repair centre that currently have the car and I requested a list of he repairs that they've submitted to the insurance company.
I wanted to know what would be replaced/repaired if I ended up getting the car back for my own piece of mind.

The oil that had leaked out the bottom was a PAS hose - so maybe not as big deal as I thought.

The list is almost 3 pages long which is a little daunting however it looks like they've anticipated a few things that may or may not need to be done.

The price I was quoted a few days ago was before VAT so the final total is actually £5672.83 :-?

I'm beginning to come around to the idea of a write-off.
All the hard work that was done is smashed anyway so i'd have to start again either way!

I've started considering worthy replacements just in case.
I want to stick to the same sort of age or newer if possible.

1. Same again (1.4 SE)
2. Seat Ibiza (cheaper, but I don't like the look quite as much) or...
3. Try and stretch further to a GTi (this would mean a loan though)

The insurance on a GTi was surprisingly acceptable - only £50/year more!

One option to do it would be to take out a loan and hope I get some compo at a later date for the whiplash to clear it back off again - however that wouldn't be guaranteed.

Comments and suggestions welcome as always guys!
Charlie
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Assuming it's a write off, I'd be tempted with a GTi. No Olympic blue ones though...

If you're looking for more power, have you considered the 1.4 Sport / 1.9 TDi Sport? Would be cheaper than the GTi, but still faster than a 1.4 SE.

It's a shame that all the mods you did were at the front...ie GTi headlights, fogs and that paint job. Also the lower grilles...I'm thinking those would be the hardest parts to get hold of again. :(

Ah well, good luck!

Ash :)
charlievwp
Gold Member

Post by charlievwp »

I looked at the 1.6 sport a bit but i'm so tempted by a GTi!
Just gotta wait to see whether it'll definitely get written off and then see how much I can squeeze out of them.
At least i'll know how far off a GTi i'll be then.
I've seen a couple - about 2 years old for around £10k or just under....hmmm, little smile emerging!
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

omg as if thats happened. it was coming alog nicely too :(

if i got hit like that i wouldn't want the car back.

even with it been done properly there would still be a doubt in my mind it would still be bent or not working correcly.
for safety in future i'd want to right it off now. but i know it'l be hard as you've had it and personalised it etc.

hope all goes well :)
Sershen
Getting There!

Post by Sershen »

Buy my GTI!!!

I'm selling it for £9,950 its a 2007 with 8200 miles :lol:
charlievwp
Gold Member

Post by charlievwp »

LOL, I saw it on Pistonheads and eBay and wondered if it was yours. The unmistakable centre dash!

It might take a few weeks to get the money sorted if it gets written off and i'm undecided whether I prefer Red/Black or white at the mo.....hmmm decisions!!
Yours definitely fits the criteria i'll be looking at. Didn't you get the lower fog grilles put in?! :?
Sershen
Getting There!

Post by Sershen »

Yeah the red dash inserts kinda give it away!

I'm not in a desperate hurry to get rid of it and at the moment it doesn't seem like anyones looking to buy!

I think the GTI's look best in red and white...you loose the effect of the grill if you get a black one!

Didn't go for the lower bumper inserts cos I was looking for a badgeless grill and wanted to keep the slatted look at the front!

Hope you get a decent price for your car if it is written off...and if it is, don't forget to take the spare out the boot!!!
charlievwp
Gold Member

Post by charlievwp »

CAT D write-off confirmed.
They offered me £7900 1st offer - to which I gave a firm "no"

Going to look at a couple of cars on Saturday that've come in at a nearby dealership, although it's tricky until I get a final figure.
I'm pushing for £9k so the closer I get to that - the better.
Trottagti

Re: Front End Update - CAT D write-off

Post by Trottagti »

7900 is still good for a first figure mate i rekon,

I knew it would be written off due to the damage and airbag mainly, Shame but i would want a new car and not drive it just incase ya know,

U think ul get nine for it??? Might get 8 at a push i rekon buddy!
U glad in a way its been written off???
charlievwp
Gold Member

Re: Front End Update - CAT D write-off

Post by charlievwp »

Yeah 7900 wasn't bad fr a 1st attempt.
I've been browsing through and struggle to find an SE model for less than 8500.
Thats why i'm pushing 9000 for a mint condition - I think thats fair.

Yes, kinda glad its written off - I doubt i'd feel the same or as safe again :(