New GTI owner - a few questions :)

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Pleb
New

New GTI owner - a few questions :)

Post by Pleb »

Hi, ive just bought a 2000 GTI, loving it! I'll put pictures proper pics up soon but heres one:

Just got a few questions i cant find the answer to. What manuals do people use? I would usually get a haynes but there isnt one for the GTI, is the standard 2000-2002 polo haynes worth getting?

Where is the fuel filter and how often does it need changing?
How do you adjust the handbrake?
Is there a guide anywhere for changing the gearbox oil - oil specs, drain plug and filler plug locations?
Anything i should be aware of/wise thing to check?

There isnt any history of the belts been changed but ive whipped the cover off and they look pretty new to me. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance :)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: New GTI owner - a few questions :)

Post by alexperkins »

Pleb wrote: Just got a few questions i cant find the answer to. What manuals do people use? I would usually get a haynes but there isnt one for the GTI, is the standard 2000-2002 polo haynes worth getting?

Where is the fuel filter and how often does it need changing?
How do you adjust the handbrake?
Is there a guide anywhere for changing the gearbox oil - oil specs, drain plug and filler plug locations?
Anything i should be aware of/wise thing to check?

There isnt any history of the belts been changed but ive whipped the cover off and they look pretty new to me. What do you guys think?
Polo Haynes manual is helpful - it doesnt cover the GTI, but does cover the DOHC 16V 1.4 engines which are similar in many ways.

Fuel filter is behind the rear bumper area located on the back of the fuel tank. Needs changing once every two years ish - not a regular service item.

handbrake is adjusted on the back of the lever with two nuts - just tighten it up till fully on is at 3-4 clicks of the lever

Gearbox oil shouldnt need to be changed as its a life long fill oil, but if you so wish a haynes manual will give you all the necessary info. Its 75W90 oil if you are wanting to know this.

Check its had the pedal box recall by means of a sticker in the footwell, and that the clutch etc is sound.

As for the belts, id get them checked by a garage, as its important that they are in good condition, as failure could being irrepairable

Hope this helps :)
Pleb
New

Post by Pleb »

Thanks, cleared a few things up. I guess i need to remove the plastic trim just infront of the handbrake to remove the trim around the back? I'll have a play around with it tomorrow.

Theres gearbox oil all over the bottom of the gearbox so i want to change it for piece of mind. I'll get a haynes manual.

Yes the pedal box has been sorted, i rang vw to check.

Clutch has been replaced (got a reciept). Apparantely the gearbox has aswell but i dont have a reciept for that.
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

How much oil is there on the bottom of the gearbox? If its leaking lots.... I would be slightly concerned! Check the levels ASAP
JPR_polo_gti
Silver Member

Post by JPR_polo_gti »

actually really liking the wheels! lol a nice set of chromed centre caps would set them off nice
Pleb
New

Post by Pleb »

How much oil is there on the bottom of the gearbox? If its leaking lots.... I would be slightly concerned! Check the levels ASAP
Ive had it a week and its left one small drip on the drive. It has just had the CV joints changed so the oil may have come from the driveshaft seals? I'll check it out asap. Does anyone have a picture of the level indicator bolt? I wont get access to a haynes till next week.
actually really liking the wheels! lol a nice set of chromed centre caps would set them off nice
Thanks ill get some decent pics up soon. They have redbull centres at the moment. I'll see if i can find better ones.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

That belt was made in 04 - its gonna be due replacement shortly.

As for the CV joints, the driveshaft seals wouldnt be disturbed, and the gaitors are full of a thick grease which cannot come out, so I find it unlikely that its from that.

Its more likely to be the selector seal on the back of the gearbox as this often fails.

Gearbox oil is a fill till it overflows job. Only way to check is with your little finger in the filling hole.
Pleb
New

Post by Pleb »

Ah good spot, i'll get it replaced this summer sometime. Anyone happen to know any good places around East Yorkshire?

Yeah the previous owner mentioned something about the gear selector being replaced, ill check it out cheers.

Anyway heres a slightly better pic of it :) ...

emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

Welcome to the forum..

Good bunch of lads here, always happy to help. The wheels look really well in red! Like it alot. What does the sticker say on the sill?

Any plans?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Welcome to the site mate. Nice car you've got there.

In regards to the pedal box reinforcement.I'd look into it a bit more. Check for the sticker underneath the boot carpet, if you find one give the place a call (it'll have details on it) and check what the car was in for. Check the log book also.
dave-g
Bronze Member

Post by dave-g »

emma_88 think its a sparco sticker?

hiya mate, loving the car, always wondered what the bbs wheels would look like in red, and tbh they look pretty smart :)

i believe the drain plug for the gearbox is on the bottom, and the refill one is at the front, bout halfway down the gearbox, its a large allen-key shaped bolt!

i need to do my filter too actually, so anyone know if the bumper needs to be taken off or anything?might do it in a week or so lol.

so anymore pics of the car mate, front/rear?? :D
Pleb
New

Post by Pleb »

Thanks guys and girls, yeah you lot seem like a freindly bunch, lot better than the majority on pug306.net!
I must get myself to some meets.
emma_88 wrote:Welcome to the forum..

Good bunch of lads here, always happy to help. The wheels look really well in red! Like it alot. What does the sticker say on the sill?

Any plans?
It says sparco, even though there are no sparco parts on my car but it matches the wheels lol

Not really any exterior plans, its all been done how i would like. I might get some pressed plates and i cant decide whether to debadge the rear or not. What do you think? Also i might de-wiper it. I want to get a CDA kit for it in the future and would like a full SS exhaust but only if one comes up cheap 2nd hand.

Tim_GTi wrote:Welcome to the site mate. Nice car you've got there.

In regards to the pedal box reinforcement.I'd look into it a bit more. Check for the sticker underneath the boot carpet, if you find one give the place a call (it'll have details on it) and check what the car was in for. Check the log book also.
Oh really, why what would be the problem? As i said earleir, i rang VW and they checked to see if it had been done (i gave them my reg plate) and they said it had been done under recall in 04 iirc. I'll check for a sticker anyway.
dave-g wrote:emma_88 think its a sparco sticker?

hiya mate, loving the car, always wondered what the bbs wheels would look like in red, and tbh they look pretty smart :)

i believe the drain plug for the gearbox is on the bottom, and the refill one is at the front, bout halfway down the gearbox, its a large allen-key shaped bolt!

i need to do my filter too actually, so anyone know if the bumper needs to be taken off or anything?might do it in a week or so lol.

so anymore pics of the car mate, front/rear?? :D
Nice one thanks. I'll get a pic of the front soon :D
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Definitely debadge and de-rear wiper, it'll smarten the rear right up!Will suit the rest of the theme of the car I think.

The pedal box recall is 6-7 years old now, it's extra work they'd much prefer not to do. I've heard a few stories in the past of people affirmative that there's hadn't been done, but VW told them otherwise. It's just a case of persistance if it gets to that.

I'm not saying yours hasn't been done by any means, just advising you may want to double check yourself.

Hope this helps!
Pleb
New

Post by Pleb »

Tim_GTi wrote:Definitely debadge and de-rear wiper, it'll smarten the rear right up!Will suit the rest of the theme of the car I think.

The pedal box recall is 6-7 years old now, it's extra work they'd much prefer not to do. I've heard a few stories in the past of people affirmative that there's hadn't been done, but VW told them otherwise. It's just a case of persistance if it gets to that.

I'm not saying yours hasn't been done by any means, just advising you may want to double check yourself.

Hope this helps!
hmm interesting i cant see a sticker anywhere :? I'll quiz VW about it when i go to get some bits.

pic of the front for those interested: