Poor starting when hot.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
mick35
New

Poor starting when hot.

Post by mick35 »

Hi,
has anyone ever come across a problem that is like having a flat battery when the car is at normal working temperature, but as soon as it has cooled off, ( 30 mins or so) it will start again like there has never been a fault ?
My Polo is a 1997 1.4CL with multi point injection. I have recently changed the oil, used a Forte oil flush and oil enhancer and am running a 15W40 mineral oil. Thye oil is a good quality oil and the filter is from VW.
I have replaced the battery, ( then discovered the old one was in good order) and again changed the oil. The fault almost seems like a partial engine seizure but only on starting when hot. With the engine running there is no increase in temperature above the normal and no low oil pressure warning light and I have confirmed this with an oil pressure gauge fitteed to the filter head.
The problem is now begining to annoy me as I have done virtually everything I can think of. The engine has done 113000 miles and was heavily coked up when I bought it hence the over regular oil changes and engine flush.
The oil is now staying clean and I have no cam ratles or other noises from the engine bay.
I am a Mechanic by trade (mainly plant and LGV) and have never seen this problem before, anyone else help me out here ?

Thanks in advance

Mick
mick35
New

Re: Poor starting when hot.

Post by mick35 »

Ahh haaa I think I may have found the fault......................... several dirty earth points both on the engine and on the Chassis so am going to stripp all the relevant bits down and clean them up then refit and try her out. Hopefully this may cure the problem and we can get on with the rest of the projects I have planned. I am really wanting to have her all finished by the time run to the sun comes around. Both myself and the missus want to come again this year but in the Polo complete with trailer and camping stuff ! If anyone has had similar problems and found a cure please let me know as I may be miles off with this earth fault :shock:

Happy days

Mick
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Poor starting when hot.

Post by alexperkins »

Its not an earth problem. Thats a faulty temperature sensor mate :P New one from VW is about £25, and it will fix your problems.