Struggling Passenger Window....

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
joe2612
Gold Member

Struggling Passenger Window....

Post by joe2612 »

Basically, goes down fine, but struggles to go up, is it a case of new regualtor :(, or just abit of grease or any other quick fix?

Cheers guys
6n2si
Getting There!

Re: Struggling Passenger Window....

Post by 6n2si »

Both of mine were doing this to the point that they stopped and went back down. Bought some silicon lube in a spray can and sprayed in the rubber runner that the windows run up, problem solved :)
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

hmm tried that, didn't seem to make a massive difference :(
dantheram
Gold Member

Post by dantheram »

mine do exactly the same, you'll reach the point where they get so far and just decide to go back down, fecking annoying!!
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

and i sold my regulators from my old gti at silly prices aswell! what a bummer!
supermico
Getting There!

Post by supermico »

To just copy/paste my answer from another topic:
Yeah, seems like a pretty common problem. mine used to do it, I solved it with a zip tie :mrgreen: The window fell off one of the plastic clips on the window guides, causing the window to come up at an angle. I just placed the window back onto the clip and secured it with a ziptie...
ben3486
Bronze Member

Post by ben3486 »

haha i was literally just about to post this same thing. I figured with mine its jsut a case of lube as when it rains its alot alot alot easier to come back up. think im gonna have to go get some silicon spray. the mot guy told me fairy liquid would work....and it did for a week or two then i guess it just dried up lol. Where do i have to look for the zip tie solution? obv inside the door lol but roughly where on the window?
supermico
Getting There!

Post by supermico »

Very child-like description (hope it helps though): inside the door, roll the window down to about half, easier to see. There are two vertical metal window guides (rails). on them there are two square plastic pieces (off-white-yellow) that move up and down when operating. These have a square nipple that goes into a square hole on the bottom of the window. My window fell off the clip so I just placed it back on and secured them both together with a zip tie. Just make sure you don't secure the clip to the guides :D
justjamie
New

Post by justjamie »

my passenger side window does this too, was well anooying last night as it was raining.
im gona check the wires in the rubber grommit between the door an body of the car and also check if its come off the runners as i fort it looked like it was leanin abit towards the back of the car.
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

I got quoted £200 last week to get mine fixed.
That includes a new regulator, a new motor and Labour which is a hefty price.

The guy at the garage said 9 times out of 10 they change the regulator & motor at the same time because if one goes then the other usually goes soon after.

I left it for now and just got the runners greased because that cures the problem for a month or two.

Ben,
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

I sprayed some wd-40 on the window seal/sills this evening, and that has improved things alot!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

A whole new reg and motor isnt too expensive, and you can easily fit it yourself with some sockets and screwdrivers and a bit of know how :)
joe2612
Gold Member

Post by joe2612 »

alexperkins wrote:A whole new reg and motor isnt too expensive, and you can easily fit it yourself with some sockets and screwdrivers and a bit of know how :)
Yeah i'm familiar with window regs, replaced a few on mates cars over the past- just gotta keep a look out i guess! :wink: