ABS Light

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
neilw
Gold Member

ABS Light

Post by neilw »

After pressure washing my wheel arches I now have my ABS light on. I suspect I've accidendly pressure washed the abs sensor. Luckly there only £20

Has anybody got a step by step guide to using VAGCOM to find out which side sensor has gone wrong.

I have a cable but have never used it. Where can I get the software from. Once I have the software what do I do?

Thanks!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: ABS Light

Post by alexperkins »

I wouldnt think you have damaged anything neil - moreso just a wet connection or similar

You need to get the software from www.ross-tech.com. Its now called VCDS lite so download that.

Drivers for the lead are here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20602.zip

Load vagcom, make sure the cable works by going to settings, selecting the correct port and choose test

Then go into the top left box on the main screen, choose ABS and wait for it to connect. Then click fault codes and it will give a list of the errors found, and should say which sensor is playing up

Hope that helps!
wackojackso
Bronze Member

Post by wackojackso »

Where can you get the cable from, can anyone recommend one?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

ebay search for vagcom lead mate
wackojackso
Bronze Member

Post by wackojackso »

Cheers Alex, is there any type to stay away from?
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Thanks Alex, the light is turning on and off now, on for 10mins then goes off, then comes back on again after abit.

I'll get in there with some compressed ait and see if I can dry it all out. Then try VAGCOM.

At least I've got lovely clean arches and collies now :lol:
wheelmanwayne
Bronze Member

Post by wheelmanwayne »

this happened on mine and it kept on turning off and on. and eventually stayed on turned out to be a faulty module!
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

Sounds like you got water into one of the connectors...

Or your abs module needs repairing..

IMHO, never, ever use a pressure washer inside wheel arches/engine bay or under the car.... you really do not want to force water into the electrics, brakes, suspension components... A layer of grease helps stop corrosion

A stiff brush and a gentle hosepipe is more than enough...
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

alexperkins wrote:I wouldnt think you have damaged anything neil - moreso just a wet connection or similar

You need to get the software from http://www.ross-tech.com. Its now called VCDS lite so download that.

Drivers for the lead are here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20602.zip

Load vagcom, make sure the cable works by going to settings, selecting the correct port and choose test

Then go into the top left box on the main screen, choose ABS and wait for it to connect. Then click fault codes and it will give a list of the errors found, and should say which sensor is playing up

Hope that helps!
Any idea on which of the 5 versions of VCDS lite I should download? Theres no clues on my cable. The options are

BI-COM
UNI-COM
TWIN-COM
MAX-COM
ISO-COM
and other 3rd party interface

I'm guessing it'll be the 3rd part one so will give that a try first.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Just VCDS lite - there is only one version. It supports all the different cables.
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Cheers Dude, got it. I'll give it a try at lunch time.

Does the ECU store fault codes or does it only show curent faults?

Rite I've tried it but somethings not working.

The cable tests fine, but when I check it with it in the car I get a message saying

Car is not ISO/OBD-II Compatable. If this car is a vw\audi\seat\skoda try select -> Individual Controllers

When I got and select ABS like you originally say it spools through in the COMM Status trying lots of different Init Addr's does that for alot of different numbers then nothing.

Any ideas what I'm missing?
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

I gave up trying to get the cable to work. I don't think its compatable with the new software.

Anyway I took the car to be looked at properly the light is on due to the rear right speed sensor. Does right mean right when sitting in the car or looking at the front of the car. I'm guessing it's the Offside/drivers side.

Also looks like I need a new Engine Coolant tempreture sensor. Is that easy to change?

One of these? http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volks ... e80e9&TMPS

Also came up with 17927 - Camshaft Adjustment Bank 1: malfunction P1519-35-10 intermittent

The guy didn't seem to think that was anything to worry about as my cam belt isn't due or over due a change. If somebody could explane that for me it would give me some more piece of mind.

Cheers, Neil