hey im a newbie looking for some info please.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
cldave
New

hey im a newbie looking for some info please.

Post by cldave »

after recently being made redundant and losing my company van i decided to purchase a mk3 polo as a daily driver, i also own a civic type r which iv spent aload of money on and didn't want to wreck it for work being an electrician. Dont worry im going to look after the polo, from what iv gathered from the forum shes a 1400 3dr 6n and i think its a cl spec.its only done 21k and i managed to get her for £700 which is a steal, interior is immaculate but the bodywork it in need of a good mop and wax with a couple of little rust spots but all in all shes in a tidy conditon. was going to leave her standard and tidy her up but after having a quick nose and seeing how cheap parts are for it compared with the civic then i doubt it will stay standard for very long. plans are to prob get some clear indicators, new grill and poss front bumper, some ronal turbo rims and obviously lowered i think, then go from there depending on how much money the civic is eating lol. was just after some info on the chassis and model etc please so i know what parts etc will fit, also the biting point on the clutch is right at the top although the clutch does not slip at all, any ideas on this? was thinking it might be the thrust bearing or something. many thanks in advance and i look forward to becoming a member of the dub community. :)

heres a pic of the polo and a pic of my civic.

6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Re: hey im a newbie looking for some info please.

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Welcome to the forum mate.

Looks like you've got yourself a nice little Polo there, 21K miles is great too. That's the MK4 6N Model 1.4 CL (60bhp)

I am not really a fan of Jap cars but I have always had a soft spot for the Civic Type R's and yours looks awesome, a proper hot hatch. Much prefer the EP3 model to the new FN2's. What have you done to the Type R then?

As far as the Polo is concerned its a blank canvas, some many things you can do to them and plenty of parts/spares available.
My Gti has a pretty heavy clutch and the biting point is also very high, I think this pretty common on Polo's so I wouldnt worry about it.

Be worth checking the service history to just check when the clutch was last changed to put your mind at rest.

If your looking for some inspiration then check out Jarno's MK4 Polo Progress thread, his car is stunning.
You already have the Type R for speed so its just a case of getting the Polo looking good, wheels, suspension, 16V bumpers, grille, lights are all good upgrades to start off with.

Hope this helps, keep us all updated with the progress on the car

Ben,
luke 16v
New

Post by luke 16v »

fancy selling your headlight protectors?

Luke
cldave
New

Post by cldave »

thanks for that mate, the clutch friction plate is fine as it doesn't slip just thought it could be the release bearing or something causing the biting point to be right at the top of the pedal.might just drop the box out to take a look as it's not a very big job, on the civic i had to drop the entire front subframe lol.

with regards to the civic modifications are:

- quafie lsd
- kaiten lightened flywheel
- gruppe m carbon fibre intake
- rbc intake manifold
- piper race header with sports cat
- toda cat back
- hondata engine management with remap producing 253bhp
- uprated rear arb
- bilstein b12 suspension set up
- eibach rear camber adjusters and front camber bolts
- fast road set up

got a few more things to do to her before shes finished and then its time for the track, once its finished i might start chucking some money at the polo, need to give the paintwork a good buff as it hasn't been looked after very well and is looking a bit dull. first things i have in my head are badgeless grill, a set of ronal turbo rims and a nice drop.
cldave
New

Post by cldave »

thanks for that mate, the clutch friction plate is fine as it doesn't slip just thought it could be the release bearing or something causing the biting point to be right at the top of the pedal.might just drop the box out to take a look as it's not a very big job, on the civic i had to drop the entire front subframe lol.

with regards to the civic modifications are:

- quafie lsd
- kaiten lightened flywheel
- gruppe m carbon fibre intake
- rbc intake manifold
- piper race header with sports cat
- toda cat back
- hondata engine management with remap producing 253bhp
- uprated rear arb
- bilstein b12 suspension set up
- eibach rear camber adjusters and front camber bolts
- fast road set up

got a few more things to do to her before shes finished and then its time for the track, once its finished i might start chucking some money at the polo, need to give the paintwork a good buff as it hasn't been looked after very well and is looking a bit dull. first things i have in my head are badgeless grill, a set of ronal turbo rims and a nice drop.

and no luke im not willing to sell my headlight protectors lol.
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Sounds awesome mate, your Type R will be a track monster with that set-up.

Thier good on the track as standard but looks like you have spent a small fortune on making it even better.
Uprated ARB's are essential for decent track times. I went on a Rebel motorsport meet last year and it was 60% Type R's lol some lovely example's there, a couple of them had fitted like LSD like yourself. The engine note from that V-TEC engine is simply immense.
253BHP 8) wish my Polo had that!

Ronal LS rims look class on Polo's, proper retro style, you'll need to compliment them with a nice drop in terms of suspension so your best looking for some coilovers because shocks/springs never do the Polo justice visually. Coilovers are never too comfy for day to day driving but you certainly get used to it after a couple of weeks.

Look forward to seeing some progress on both the Polo and Type R mate

Ben,
cldave
New

Post by cldave »

i have a massive build thread but wouldn't want to post it on here lol. yeh certainly is fun to drive. im not looking to spend a fortune on the polo but just out of interest what offset and drop would you recommend for the right stance? not looking for massive amounts of camber due to tyre wear and it being a dd. also with budget coilovers they can cause knocking etc so try to stay away from them unless im spending around the 1k+ mark, although wont be worried about handling ith the polo too much. 253 is good fun but going for a supercharger wih nos next hopefully lmao.
cldave
New

Post by cldave »

also how easy are the bump stips down the side to remove?
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

lol Supercharger and NOS that's mental! will the standard internals cope with that level of power increase though?

I reckon a drop of 70-80mm for a nice stance, the Ronal Turbo's I think are available in 7 & 7.5 ET so if you combine that with some spacers it will look very nice. I paid £500 for my coilovers from Venom Motorsport, they are Spax RSX with adjustable Damping too which comes in handy, decent quality, good comfort (for coilies) and they dont cease so can't complain really.

I had a few issue's with negative camber, but I fiddled with the suspension got it right, then had it tracked & balanced. Best thing is to get a 4 wheel laser alignment to be honest.

Like you say though you dont want to throw a bucket load of cash at the Polo, just getting it looking smart and you'll be sorted.
Nice wheels, good drop with a nice stance.

Not too sure about the rub strips on the doors, hopefully somebody else can shed some light on this?
Might be worth removing the door cards to see if they pop out from the inside, or have a go at pulling them off lol

Do you want to colour code them or just remove them for the smooth look?
cldave
New

Post by cldave »

yeh the stock internals will handle between 300-350bhp all day long.the bump strips came off easy enough as there just stuck on with double sided, was a nightmare trying to get the tape off that was left on but was well worth it in the end, looks so much better now. finished mopping the polo and its come up a treat, was worried as, as you can see in the picture of the polo the paintwork is really flat but now shes shining again so will get some pics up once iv finished detailing it. Can anyone recommend where to buy some clear side repeaters and indicator lenses which wil be good fit and quality.
randomage
Silver Member

Post by randomage »

Looks like a good clean canvas, and that Type R is mental!! I had the same problem with my clutch when I got my current one, garage was able to move the bite point down for me, think there's an adjustor on the clutch cable or something, not entirely sure about it myself, but it can be fixed!! Hope this helps :)
cldave
New

Post by cldave »

ordered some clear side repeaters and now on the hunt for some clear front indicators, theres a couple of sets on ebay but am unsure of the quality. finished giving the polo a good mop and its come up a treat, relieved its done as now i can start to tidy up the areas which are bugging me like little rust spots here and hters and a few scuffs on the bumpers etc. thinking about refurbing the stellies in dayglow orange or yellow and dropping it around 60mm for the moment. its a massive improvement compared with my first picture where you can see the paint is dull and flat.

6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Looks much better now mate :) nice idea with the wheels too, save yourself some money on getting alloys atleast.
cldave
New

Post by cldave »

just out of interest what would my polo be worth roughly? iv no intention of selling it but was just interested. also wheres the best place to get som clear front indicators and a de badged grill?
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

De-badged Grille - http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_ ... odystyling

Clear Indicators - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Polo-Mk-4-94-9 ... 3f00d63a34

I don’t know exactly what your car is worth but I would probably value it between £800-950.
Standard examples like yours are normally more sought after and yours has really low mileage so it should be easily worth £800+

Ben,