Cambelt Problems?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Lytescary
New

Cambelt Problems?

Post by Lytescary »

I have a 2001 Polo GTi and when I started it earlier today the Check light came on the dash. I had just checked the oil etc levels and they were fine. As I was going to an emergancy I carried on and realised that the car was making a loud noise when it was being driven and when I put my foot down on the excelerator.

When I got back I noticed that the car was sounding a bit tappy so had a look under the bonnet when it had cooled down and took off the engine cover and the cambelt cover. This is when some plastic curved bit fell out onto the floor. They were obviously once together looking at the breakages but I'm not sure where they are from. I know that the tensioners can fail and was wondering whether this has happened?

The cambelt was last changed 24,000 miles ago. If the tensioners have gone, will this have caused the belt to slip and damage the valves? I haven't started the car since and have just pushed it to the back of my drive. Typical seeing as though I am trying to sell it!!

Any help would be appreciated!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Cambelt Problems?

Post by alexperkins »

That sounds like the main cambelt tensioner if if came from underneath the cover.

DO NOT DRIVE IT

You MUST get the cambelt changed as soon as possible. The belt hasnt come off yet so you are ok. Just keep it out of gear if you are going to move it or otherwise, and get the belt and tensioners changed as soon as!
Lytescary
New

Post by Lytescary »

I thought as much. What does the main tensioner actually look like as it was two pieces of curved plastic that formed a semi circle that fell out. Does that sounds like a tensioner?

Don't worry as soon as I saw the pieces I haven't started it and not going to 

Surely jf the cambelt was replaced only 24,000 ago (2 1/2 years ago) they shouldn't be failing. Would this also explain the check light and the louder noise when I drove it?

Thanks for your help anyway 
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

It would explain the 'engine check light' yep.

Did you use a genuine VW cambelt kit when it was changed last time?
Lytescary
New

Post by Lytescary »

I'm not sure what kit was used as it was changed before I bought it. I have the receipt and it just states Cambelt Kit and not what make.

How much am I roughly looking at now to get a new kit fitted?
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

My cambelt kit cost me £90 approx. from GSF..

VW quoted me £330 all in in 2009.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Yes it would. Its a round tensioner wheel, with two lips either side - thats what you have found snapped off

It would explain the louder running, as the belt isnt running true

It it was a cheap kit and non genuine, it could well fail.

When replacing bits like that, I would always recommend using genuine VW parts - a new cambelt kit and waterpump from a dealer is about £160. From TPS about £130
Lytescary
New

Post by Lytescary »

Thanks for your help guys.

Atm I'm in two minds about what to do. I am trying the sell the car, but as it is a previous cat c I haven't had much interest. It might be more viable to break the car. Do you have any idea about how much I could get back should I decide to break the car, considering the engine will need a cambelt?

I don't want to break it but I also don't want to throw more money at it and not get anything back at all.
PD
Silver Member

Post by PD »

Lytescary wrote:Thanks for your help guys.

Atm I'm in two minds about what to do. I am trying the sell the car, but as it is a previous cat c I haven't had much interest. It might be more viable to break the car. Do you have any idea about how much I could get back should I decide to break the car, considering the engine will need a cambelt?

I don't want to break it but I also don't want to throw more money at it and not get anything back at all.
What is the current milage on the car? I'd assume is must be pretty low?

If it's the same paint code as my silver GTi, I'd take a load of body panels off of ya and other bits and pieces as you're not too far away from me!
Thats if you do decide to break it!

You'd probably get decent money for the gear box and rims alone (providing they are in nick) so worth considering!
Lytescary
New

Post by Lytescary »

PD wrote:What is the current milage on the car? I'd assume is must be pretty low?

If it's the same paint code as my silver GTi, I'd take a load of body panels off of ya and other bits and pieces as you're not too far away from me!

You'd probably get decent money for the gear box and rims alone (providing they are in nick) so worth considering!
It's on average miles at 95,000 so not low at all. How come you presumed it was low?

What panels do you need mate as I have a spare driver's door in silver sat in the shed. And the gearbox was reconned a year ago so yeah I should get good money if I do decide to break it. I'll bear you in mind should it come to that.
PD
Silver Member

Post by PD »

Lytescary wrote:
PD wrote:What is the current milage on the car? I'd assume is must be pretty low?

It's on average miles at 95,000 so not low at all. How come you presumed it was low?

What panels do you need mate as I have a spare driver's door in silver sat in the shed. And the gearbox was reconned a year ago so yeah I should get good money if I do decide to break it. I'll bear you in mind should it come to that.
Sorry, I read your first post as; the cambelt was changed at 24,000 miles two and a half years ago. thats why i assumed the milage was low! My bad!!

I am after passengers side front wing, rear bumper, boot, rear wiper motor, rear cross member, radiator fan and a few interior bits and pieces possibly.

Let me know what you decide to do. I'd be inclined to fix it but if your having issues selling with it being a Cat C then breaking is a good alternative.