6N2 GTI Electric windows one touch not working

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
MrP
Silver Member

6N2 GTI Electric windows one touch not working

Post by MrP »

As the title says,

I have a 6n2 GTI and today the one touch function on the electric windows stopped working, (both windows go up and down from both switches).

Any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks in advance.
MrP
Silver Member

Re: 6N2 GTI Electric windows one touch not working

Post by MrP »

Fixed, well sort of, turns out the switch is dodgey, i'll get a new one on order.
BobbyG
Bronze Member

Post by BobbyG »

There's a way of reprogramming the one-touch facility by holding the switch down for ten seconds etc. Not sure exactly what the process is but it's worth a search on the DIY guides etc.

If you're gonna replace the switches see the "MK5" section of the forum, under the thread "HELP" - one of the last posters on the topic mentioned some geezer that can get hold of them more or less half price (brand new).
MrP
Silver Member

Post by MrP »

BobbyG wrote:There's a way of reprogramming the one-touch facility by holding the switch down for ten seconds etc. Not sure exactly what the process is but it's worth a search on the DIY guides etc.

If you're gonna replace the switches see the "MK5" section of the forum, under the thread "HELP" - one of the last posters on the topic mentioned some geezer that can get hold of them more or less half price (brand new).
Legend!Thanks very much matey :D
MrP
Silver Member

Post by MrP »

BobbyG wrote:There's a way of reprogramming the one-touch facility by holding the switch down for ten seconds etc. Not sure exactly what the process is but it's worth a search on the DIY guides etc.

Right, Done the DIY guide and reset them, both work now, although the passenger one touch only works going up, not down, is that normal? Also, should this work on the passenger side switch?
BobbyG
Bronze Member

Post by BobbyG »

Couldn't tell you mate, I've never sat in the passenger seat of my car (and the window's broken!)
weirdbeardmt
Getting There!

Post by weirdbeardmt »

MrP wrote:

Right, Done the DIY guide and reset them, both work now, although the passenger one touch only works going up, not down, is that normal? Also, should this work on the passenger side switch?
Found this thread because my passenger ones have just gone... just to say, the one touch is only on the driver's side. You can tell 'cos there seems to be two stages to the button (which only exists driver's side)
weirdbeardmt
Getting There!

Post by weirdbeardmt »

MrP wrote:

BTW, did you get the switches from this mysterious geezer? All went OK?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

You can fix faulty switches...i did it the other day. Just have to split them, clean them up, then hot glue them back together happy days!
weirdbeardmt
Getting There!

Post by weirdbeardmt »

alexperkins wrote:You can fix faulty switches...i did it the other day. Just have to split them, clean them up, then hot glue them back together happy days!
Sounds doable - certainly got the tools. Might have a bash tomorrow... though I'm sure last time I popped the unit out it looked really really sealed... is there a knack to splitting them?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Small electrical screwdriver and plenty of care. Try not to break the clips too much.
weirdbeardmt
Getting There!

Post by weirdbeardmt »

Dismantled the switches yesterday. This is what I see. Turns out none of those little silver "pads" are connected to the PCB anymore... was wondering if I could resolder but in fact part of the circuit has corroded away, so not sure it would help even if I could. What do you reckon? Have asked the local stealer for a price on the switches... can't be that much, surely? :shock:

alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

They aren't supposed to be connected to the board. They just slot into the holes and give the switch it's springy contact. All you need to do is wetndry the pcb contacts underneath and the backs of the pads
weirdbeardmt
Getting There!

Post by weirdbeardmt »

Brilliant. Scraped off all the build-up of gunk on the connections and hey presto, working switches. Saved me £45 for new ones. Thanks!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

happy days :)