Polo has mysterious front-end noise

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
p0l0
New

Polo has mysterious front-end noise

Post by p0l0 »

I have a 1995 Polo that has developed a loud repetitive clicking noise that occurs when the car is turning. It seems that the noise is coming from the front right-hand side of the car.

The noise is a sharp clicking sound and seems to vary in its frequency. The time between clicks is almost always different--however it is repetitive. The clicking sound does not have a correlation to the turning of the tyres/wheels. I have marked the front right tyre, slowly driven around and had someone watch for a correlation.

The sound is most noticeable at very low speed, for instance when I turn into a sharp corner while climbing slowly up a steep hill. If I turn the steering wheel back and forth, I can get up to 3 clicks in maybe 2 seconds.

The noise only occurs when the car is under power and is turning. The clicking starts at about the same point at which the turn-indicator deactivates (about a quarter turn of the wheel from straight). I do not believe that it has anything to do with the turn signal as the noise is definitely coming from the front underside of the car.

The noise has worsened over the past two days and I am getting concerned. I would like to get some ideas from the forum before going into a mechanic.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Polo has mysterious front-end noise

Post by alexperkins »

sounds like a cv joint is on its way out. get it checked asap mate
p0l0
New

Re: Polo has mysterious front-end noise

Post by p0l0 »

Thanks for the suggestion--it was confirmed when I took the car into the mechanic. Many thanks.