troublesome 6n2, sensors broke, juddering, starting issues.

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
jfallon
New

troublesome 6n2, sensors broke, juddering, starting issues.

Post by jfallon »

I have owned my gti for about 3months now, bought it fairly cheap off a trader (scammer maybe) had it serviced, cambelt done etc so it would be ready for the year... then after a few days sometimes when stopping in traffic/at junctions etc the revs wouldnt go below 2k until u brought the clutch up in gear and started driving, however made it hard to drive, took it back to garage, they plugged it in and said camshaft sensor needed doing, so they did it..wouldnt even start, told them to do it again, they put another new one on and it worked for a few days, then started having similar problems, took it back again and they said the diagnostics had showed up a fault code on the coolant temp sensor, to be honest got sick of the garage so thought i'll take it to VW just so they actually get to root of problem and sort it. They got same fault code, replaced it and told me that my throttle body needed cleaning, they did that too. Was of for a few days then started noticing that there was a judder under acceleration at low revs, it seemed more noticeable with the climate on at first, then after a few more days, it was happening the same regardless of it being on/off. Then a few days ago I parked outside my girlfriends (on a hill) the petrol light had just come on but only a few miles before, and when I next went to drive....wouldnt start, fuel guage showed empty, thought it may be coz im on a hill. Left it a bit more (just coz its beeen so temperamental) and tried 2 start again, this time seemed like there wasnt enough power to turn the engine, now if I turn key I get a small click, then the dials move and make a little buzz, but nothing happens, doesnt even turn at all, literally just a small click. Probably just battery (even though I didnt leave anything on) but I am now at the point where im considering cutting my losses and selling it coz i just need somethin reliable 2 run me home, or to the shops, cant afford to get it fixed every 50miles while im a student, (thats why i bought a VW anyway, if i wanted small, quick and unreliable, I would have gone to france). Does anyone have a clue, is my car f****d? Does it just need new leads/starter motor/lambda sensor? Have read just about everyones complaints on them and i havnt got a clue? Why does it keep going wrong? I dont redline it in every gear, get it on 2 wheels round every corner, its had everything its needed, AND ITS STILL BROKE. HELP ME PLEASE!
live1
New

Re: troublesome 6n2, sensors broke, juddering, starting issu

Post by live1 »

how much did you pay for the gti ,the juddering at low revs for my car was fixed by getting a new ht lead for no 3 .but cant help with the ignition car not turning over.did you buy private or dealer ,if dealer take it back mate and av a word
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

hmm could be the crankshaft sensor. That causes all kinds of problems, including failure to start, low power, cutting out etc. Happened on a mate of mines GTI and we replaced it and it was problem solved.
KPerryGTi
Sponsor

Post by KPerryGTi »

I had this sort of problem as well but mine was just juddering and cutting out sometimes, found it its a problem with my variable cam timing, so the injectors don't know when to put fuel to the piston, only found out today so haven't sorted it yet... trying to find sumone who knows more about it...
KPerryGTi
Sponsor

Post by KPerryGTi »

KPerryGTi wrote:I had this sort of problem as well but mine was just juddering and cutting out sometimes, found it its a problem with my variable cam timing, so the injectors don't know when to put fuel to the piston, only found out today so haven't sorted it yet... trying to find sumone who knows more about it...
sorry should have said its a problem with the camshaft sensor, which is affecting the variable timing
jfallon
New

Post by jfallon »

Cheers for posts guys, will ask about the crankshaft sensor, my camshaft one has been done so that should be fine, getting it recovered to VW to sort it out as they didnt actually fix the juddering that I told them about by cleaning the throttle body and replacing the coolant temp sensor so they can get it sorted, prob going to get a new battery as well, and I might as well upgrade it as the car wont be used everyday as im a student and dont need it to get around here, just going out or home trips really. Just hoping that soon I will have at least a year go by before anything other than a service needs doing! Otherwise I may have to get something else in the VAG group with a 1.9tdi engine!
joedee
New

Post by joedee »

any news on this as mine has a similar problem
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

whats wrong with yours joe?
joedee
New

Post by joedee »

Well it keeps cutting the power, i've vagcom'd it and it says its the speed sensor idol or intermittent. i since found out the speed sensor is the crankshaft sensor, keep clearing the code off vagcom but it cuts the power after about 40 mile
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

It depends which G code it has - have you got the VagCom fault code still?

If it keeps coming back, its time to replace the sensor
joedee
New

Post by joedee »

yeah im gonna replace the sensor, £69+vat from vw, starter motors got to come off so im told so gonna ask a mate to help. just hope that sorts it out. bit weird though cars only done 40k
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Well get me the error code if you can and ill check it agains the workshop manual.

That sensor is a total pain in the ass to change - i did one a few weeks back and it is not easy to access at all!
joedee
New

Post by joedee »

the code im getting is 16706 - engine speed sensor (g28) : no signal
p0322-35-10---intermittent thanks for this
joedee
New

Post by joedee »

?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Just had a look. It says to check the sensor. You really need proper VW extension cabling at diagnostics tools to follow the procedure unfortunately as it requires an 'in line' test as such.

Check the wiring connector is all intact and the wiring is in no way damaged. Its on the right hand side behind where the thermostat housing is