daytime headlights

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

daytime headlights

Post by whitegtipolo »

This annoys me on my new polo turn lights off but they stay on can this be de activated manual says pull a fuse but doesnt state which one
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Re: daytime headlights

Post by Grey_Polo »

Daytime running lights, or headlights will be a legal requirement on new cars from February 2011 in the EU. See:
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/sa ... ights.html

It's done for a reason - safety...
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

I thought you could turn them off I have seen some one post a certain sequence using the indicator and holding up or down for a few seconds? I will check my manual.

Don't know about your GTI but mine came from new with the daylight driving light option enabled (headlights, side lights and rear lights on) which is different to daylight running lights (dimmed head lights only). I also think you can toggle between these settings but again I will check the manual.

I have left mine as they are as it's winter and weather is rubbish for safety reasons plus I don't want anyone to run into my new GTI.

Edi30
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

It can be deactivated if you wish - the procedure is available on the internet somewhere. I think I found it by a google search lol
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Post by Grey_Polo »

sylvester
Getting There!

Post by sylvester »

Grey_polo wrote:
Personally I think they are a positive safety feature
Instead of headlights, high power leds are better and use less energy,don't fail as much, definitely a positive safety feature. Bad move by vw using headlights, leds are better, check out audi.
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Post by Grey_Polo »

sylvester wrote:Grey_polo wrote:
Personally I think they are a positive safety feature
Instead of headlights, high power leds are better and use less energy,don't fail as much, definitely a positive safety feature. Bad move by vw using headlights, leds are better, check out audi.
The daylight running lights on my Polo are not the headlights, but special lower-powered lights (not LED) in the front skirt next to the fog/turning lights. They actually turn off when the headlights or side light are put on.

Agreed LED would have been better and can be specified on the GTI. But LED is just going through a revolution at the moment and seems likely to replace all lights in the home, on the streets on cars and everywhere else in the next few years...
rs2315
New

Post by rs2315 »

Safety and money making from vw.
Lights on all the time=more bulbs blowing=price of new bulb=labour cost for removal of light cluster multiply that with the customers who won't do the job themselves the world over, and you got nice little earner.

Sneaky.

rs2315.
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Post by Grey_Polo »

rs2315 wrote:Safety and money making from vw.
Lights on all the time=more bulbs blowing=price of new bulb=labour cost for removal of light cluster multiply that with the customers who won't do the job themselves the world over, and you got nice little earner.

Sneaky.

rs2315.
Yes, but one could say the same about brakes. If you don't use them, the pads won't need replacing...
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

If you upgrade to Xenon bulbs, which are supposed to last up to 5 times as long as halogen and are up to 100% brighter the issue of replacing them (as often) goes away. My dealer is offering free bulb changes as well. I have gone for Xenon bulb upgrade on my 6R and this has made quite a difference to the lighting at night. I changed them myself to see how easy it was. Once you have the head light out it's really easy, however having to take out the headlight unit to change a bulb is ridiculous.
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

I think its better to take it out makes it all easier tbh got my siler indicator bulbs today ;-)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

on the topic of silver indicator bulbs, make sure they are bright enough, as I had some a few years back and they wouldnt pass the MOT with them in as they didnt illuminate bright enough!
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

alexperkins wrote:on the topic of silver indicator bulbs, make sure they are bright enough, as I had some a few years back and they wouldnt pass the MOT with them in as they didnt illuminate bright enough!
I find Philips Silvervision bulbs to be quite good - I think the blue tint of the Osram version is a bit tacky.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

I haven't tried the indicator bulbs just the Osram Night-breakers and Phillips X-treme performance H7s and think the Night-breakers have the edge.