New headunit?! Help!

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Joz
Silver Member

New headunit?! Help!

Post by Joz »

Elllo! :) Young Norwegian guy reporting in!

I've been around on various VW forums, but this seems to be the most fitting one for me as I own a 2007 Polo GTi :)

I've done some easy mods, but I come here now to get some help..
I want a new headunit!

My question; I assume to change it all I need to do is find a fitting one, and use the release keys, and simply pop the old out and place the new in..?
BUT; Which fit?! :?

Mind you, I have done quite a lot research, but I cannot find any info on the matter.

As it cost about 100£ here to have a workshop do it for ya, I would really prefer doing it myself. Thanks in advance for replies!

( And excuse my English..)
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Re: New headunit?! Help!

Post by blazeguarder »

The 9n3 uses canbus, so you will need to find a canbus adapter in order to fit the new headunit. There's a company called Connects2 which produces them. However, they list the CTSVW002 interface as needed for the Polo, but when I tried I needed to use the CTSVW003 interface instead in order to make it work. Connects2 still claim that they are correct though, so maybe I just have a weird car... :roll:

In terms of what will fit, pretty much anything to be honest. The RCD200 is a double-din headunit, so any other double-din units will fit the space. However, should you go for a single-din unit, you can purchase a cubby box type thing from VW that will fill the remaining space.
Joz
Silver Member

Post by Joz »

Cheers!

This sounds a bit complicated though, and are those/ that part expensive? If so, I may just let the place where I buy the radio do it.. Don't want to screw anything up..
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

I paid £35 for mine in the UK, so I'd assume it's about the same price in Norway.

It's really easy to fit, you just plug the interface into the stereo wiring loom and then plug the new headunit into the interface. You don't necessarily need to use the adapter, you can get a quadlock to ISO adapter for less money but then you need to find an ignition wire to get the headunit to work properly. With the canbus adapter, it works straight out of the box and can be quickly removed if you want to put the original headunit back into the car.
Joz
Silver Member

Post by Joz »

But the canbus option is quite expensive, 35£ means like 60£ in Norway prob..
So, if I understood right, you just use it as an adapter between the 10-pin plug from the car to the radio ? ( or is it 8-pin.. No big deal tho, u get my point)

Anyhow, you are wrong.. :P Everything is more expensive in Norway, hehe.
MODDED9N
Gold Member

Post by MODDED9N »

I got a head unit that fits perfect if you wanna buy :P
Joz
Silver Member

Post by Joz »

What kind? pic?
MODDED9N
Gold Member

Post by MODDED9N »

It's an XZENT XT7010... It looks perfect in a 9n/9n3.... They are about 180 on ebay but i'm only looking for about £110!
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Joz wrote:But the canbus option is quite expensive, 35£ means like 60£ in Norway prob..
So, if I understood right, you just use it as an adapter between the 10-pin plug from the car to the radio ? ( or is it 8-pin.. No big deal tho, u get my point)

Anyhow, you are wrong.. :P Everything is more expensive in Norway, hehe.
It fits between the car's wiring harness (the 16 pin 'quadlock' connector to the back of the standard radio) and the replacement headunit.

It's either use the canbus adapter or you can use a quadlock to ISO adapter. This basically sorts out all of the speaker wires/earth etc but you need to run a wire to an ignition live so that it turns on when you switch on the ignition, and a wire for the dash lights as well. This is a cheaper option, but if you want to fit a unit with navigation then you are better off with the canbus adapter, as it gives you a speed pulse as well, which you don't really need in a standard radio.

I fitted a navigation unit so I went for the canbus adapter. Although it costs more, I probably would have used it for a normal radio unit as well because, aside from the problems I had with finding a compatible one, it is completely plug and play, so you can quickly remove it if selling the car etc.
MODDED9N wrote:I got a head unit that fits perfect if you wanna buy :P
Unless it has a quadlock socket on the back, then it isn't a direct fit. The 9N has ISO connectors which mean that head units fit easily into those cars, but the 9N3 is a bit more tricky...
MODDED9N
Gold Member

Post by MODDED9N »

It does 8)
Joz
Silver Member

Post by Joz »

Cheers blazerguarder!!

I'm very ..Well, afraid of doing anything wrong. So I think I'm gonna let the pros at my electrostore do it. Then I will have it sooner too.

@MODDED9N

Don't think I'm interested. Not what I am looking for.
Joz
Silver Member

Post by Joz »

Got it installed today!

Very happy indeed, they did a good job, and it's a lovely headunit with cool features.
It was 600£ with all parts and installed though. Bit stiff.