My girlfriends new car issues

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
scotthomer6
New

Post by scotthomer6 »

Hey, just sorted a new car out for my girlfriend but there are some issues ive found but not sure how to fix them.

1. Reverse lights aren't working - ive researched and found out there isnt a fuse for this? Is this correct?
2. Gear stick is stiff in neutral. The gear stick doesn't spring back to centre when let go. - ive greased the linkage etc but it isn't helping. I can see that the arm on top of the gearbox doesn't spring back when you push it down which is what's causing the problem. How can i fix this?
3. Parts missing/alloys wanted. Ill list the items we need. If anyone has any of these parts laying around please pm me.
- Passenger manual mirror adjuster knob.
- New black gear gaitor
- Driver door half red half white light lens
- Parcel shelf

- Alloys - these if anyone has any would be great -

(this is not my girlfriends car just want these wheels for it)

Thanks for any help,
Scott
MODDED9N
Gold Member

Re: My girlfriends new car issues

Post by MODDED9N »

I got a set of those alloys!
Keeno21
Getting There!

Post by Keeno21 »

1. Should be a fuse :-s Also have you checked the reverse light switch?
2. Clean & grease all the moving parts in/on the shifter?
3. Can't help you here, but the half red, half White light is called a puddle light. Thought it might help with your searching...
scotthomer6
New

Post by scotthomer6 »

I haven't checked the switch yet, trying to find out where it is!
With the fuse I cant find its location using those stupid symbols!

Are you selling the alloys? or are they currently on your car?

Cheers,
Scott
MODDED9N
Gold Member

Post by MODDED9N »

I am selling them as currently they are sitting in the garage gathering dust!
scotthomer6
New

Post by scotthomer6 »

Another thing im after is a rear near side light.

The fixing has probably broken and so for some unknown reason the previous pleb who owned it has fixed it by slicking it in with a ton of silicon! I hate that stuff! :x And i hate when jobs have been bodged!

Which leads on to the boot - Will have to get the boot lid sprayed again sometime as it's been done really bad. Even has a run along the bottom and the badges looks as if they've been stuck on with superglue which has also run and dripped on the bumper. Great!
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Sounds daft, but the reverse bulbs may just have failed? Worth a check as it's dead easy.

The parts you're looking for, you might be best off going to a breakers if you don't want to spend mega money. The rear lights are about £54 each and the parcel shelf is about £60!
scotthomer6
New

Post by scotthomer6 »

Ill give them a check but first off how do i remove the lights? Got a haynes manual on order, as i simply just cant find much information on the 9n polo on the internet! Seems not many people work on these newer cars themselves anymore! Its the same with my Golf mk5 GT TDI, the guides just aren't around!

I see there is the screw to undo, then do the lights just pop out from the body?

Cheers for the heads up about prices!
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

rear lights: look behind the carpet in the boot, and there's a nut. Losen that, then the light comes off (clips are at the outermost edge, so a bit of wobbling etc is required, but no force!). Expect the plastic of the light unit where the stud (that you've just taken the nut off) is attached to be broken.

reverse light switch is on the gearbox. Check the wires where they join into the plug. That's where ours had failed.

gearstick gaitors. we changed ours for one off ebay. MUCH higher quality than standard at much lower price. Extra thickness made fitting a wangle, and had to be contact adhesived to the plastic "frame" off the old gaitor, as it's supplied without. nice now it's on though!
Kuru14
Getting There!

Post by Kuru14 »

as above the reverse light problem is most likely the wiring at the reverse switch.. its almost like its too small and will probably have broken, just a case of extending them a bit and into the switch.. common problem. Its easier to get at it from under the car.
scotthomer6
New

Post by scotthomer6 »

Brilliant thanks alot!

That will be this saturdays job! Along with getting my brother mk1 polo ready for it's MOT! A time we dread every year! :roll: