mk2 gt?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
metz

mk2 gt?

Post by metz »

hiya guys,

Just phoned for a gt coupe and on asking the year of registration the guy said its 1990 mk2.
Is there a mk2 gt?
if so has anyone got pics ?

He said front valance had rust spot so that leads me to belive it is a mk2 as it has small bumpers, but iam confused as i thought gt was mk3.

If i'm wrong feel free to enlighten me as i'm definatley no expert :D

metz
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

There was a mk2 GT, but as soon as the cars landed in the UK the GT badges were removed and replaced with Coupe S badges. It's all the same thing, might just be that the guy's had the original badge put back on or something.
metz

Post by metz »

ohhhh right.
whats the spec on them m8?
and do you have any buying tips? ie:- things to look for on them.

I'm after a mk3 gt really but the mk2 sounds in good nick so i'm compelled to view it :)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I'm not entirely sure on the specs, I have a feeling though that it's pretty much just a 1.3 coupe with sports trimmings.. seats, rev counter, red highlighted grille etc. Don't quote me on it though :)
metz

Post by metz »

ok m8 cheers.
Totally off the subject for a sec...I think more people should post during the day so i have summat to read as i have nowt to do while at work...well apart from work but who wants to do that.
:D
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

You may have to take it for a test drive to properly judge.... IIRC most were 55hp with sporty trim (much like the last of the 'real' mini coopers - no actual power or handling improvement, just graphics) and only a few if any got a top end boost like the Mk3 to 75hp
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

There are a few RHD GT's around, madmk2matt had one called jim a while back, now robin on porka.net has it.
they are rare, unless it could be a left hooker? <which means it would have a brake servo :)>
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Even if its a LHD GT import itll prob still have 55hp. The later ones used digijet multipoint fuel injection which is similar to a mk3 GT setup but less tuned. This engine also made it into early mk3 CL's (NZ engine)

But a servo would be very nice. You can do alot more to ur car if youve got a servo (well, it makes things easier anyway)