Help!!!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
eviljohn27
New

Re: Help!!!

Post by eviljohn27 »

ritey ho. I'll have a snoop around under the bonnet on my day off. Thanks for all this info by the way. I really appreciate it. So if the weber carb isn't that great, is it worth just stickin with the stock one or is the pierburg one a better investment? I've found a brand new electronic distributor too. Is that worth switching and if so, is it a straight trade for the one that's on there already, or will the new one need extra doohickeys?
steveo3002
Silver Member

Post by steveo3002 »

you need more than the dizzy...i dont know enough to advise on that

webers are great , way easier to tune than a pierburb , but nothing wrong with a fully working pierburg, its just they play up often and are hard to fix
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Help!!!

Post by benmkiv »

Pierburg are what was fitted standard. At least It was to the mkii's and personally had a lot of trouble tuning mine too
eviljohn27
New

Post by eviljohn27 »

So the current carb will be fine until I can beg/borrow/steal a weber. Good to know. I'll ask around about the distributor. Someone out there must have the answers. How do you go about tuning a carburettor? And what does that do? Better fuel consumption? Is it harder with a manual choke? Cheers guys.
steveo3002
Silver Member

Post by steveo3002 »

tuning it would be ajusting the air/fuel mixture to the correct ratio , setting the idle speed and fast idle

hard to do on a pierburg..fairly easy on a weber

obviously being set up well makes it run at its best and use the least fuel

you might wana check the filler neck on your petrol tank , this is common to rust so bad that they leak , if yours is sill good then treat it before winter , rust paint /underseal /underbdy wax etc
eviljohn27
New

Post by eviljohn27 »

amayzun! I'll find out what's in place for sure and add getting that fiddled with to my ever growing to-do list. I'll check the petrol tank when i get it up to do some other stuff to it on friday. Thanks again gents. Any other info/advice you can give about anything else on my beige beast would be quality. Even if you think it's insignificant but you tried it and it worked.