Wheels GLUED on?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
aaronon
Gold Member

Wheels GLUED on?

Post by aaronon »

Is this normal for polo alloys?

I have a completely flat tyre and pulled over there and undid all the bolts etc and the wheel won't come off. It's the read wheel and I pulled. . .i kicked. . .i stomped. . .i got help. . .i booted. . .i hammered. . .and it's still on. . .i could even drive with it!

What the hell like. . .i even put wd40 on t and nothing. . .what am I meant to do? :(:(

Anyone else experienced this? Volkswagen should just do away with wheel bolts lol
red6n2
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Wheels GLUED on?

Post by red6n2 »

Tried a rubber mallet smacked on both sides ?.
AdamR8
New

Re: Wheels GLUED on?

Post by AdamR8 »

I had this problem too, its because there is no grease!

best way to get them 'unstuck' is to finger tighten the wheel bolts, drive slowly for a very short distance and slam on!

this should 'crack' them off the hub

HTH
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Definitely sounds like they're seized on. Get a rubber mallet and give them a few whacks to loosen them up and they should come off. Clean any corrosion off the hubs with a wire brush and use a bit of copper grease to stop it happening again.
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Thanks guys. Have no rubber mallet shall get a lend of one tomorrow :(

Tried the braking tip and it didn't work :(

Thanks
AdamR8
New

Post by AdamR8 »

Brake harder!
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Tried this morning again. . Outside my house and the same thing. Wouldn't come off.

Had to go to kwik fit who said because I'd driven on it (I had no choice it wouldn't come off!!!!) the tyre was burnt out and needed replaced so it cost me £58 :( :( :(

I hate alloys lol
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

This happened to mine. Bit of thick wood and a big hammer. Took me 30 min to get one of but I take my wheels off two or three times a year now.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

aaronon wrote:Tried this morning again. . Outside my house and the same thing. Wouldn't come off.

Had to go to kwik fit who said because I'd driven on it (I had no choice it wouldn't come off!!!!) the tyre was burnt out and needed replaced so it cost me £58 :( :( :(

I hate alloys lol
You now need to get round al the wheels ASAP and make sure that they can come off when required, and that will mean cleaning the wheel/hub contact points and apply a very slight amount of copper ease or maybe even CertTec to these cleaned areas.
Dom_
Silver Member

Post by Dom_ »

Pop the centre cap out of the alloy and give the whole part of the wheel that sits onto the hub a good clean with a wirebrush too :)
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

"Had to go to kwik fit who said because I'd driven on it (I had no choice it wouldn't come off!!!!) the tyre was burnt out and needed replaced so it cost me £58 "

Kwikfit will tell you anything if it results in a sale,I went into them for a puncture repair and was nearly sold brake pads/shoes,a new backbox and 3 tyres...till I told them where to get off......went across the road to a REAL tyre place and got the puncture fixed for a fiver...

John :wink:
Turbomier
Silver Member

Post by Turbomier »

had this in the beginning, it's indeed because there is no grease.
but i happens because the wheel is another type of metal as that from the wheelhub.
so as irons works when it gets warm or cold (like wood basicly) it becomes tightend up. :wink:

a lil bit of power and help from a hamer and you should be able to get the wheel off.
don't forget the grease if you put it back or you will have the same problem next time :lol: :P