2008 Polo - question

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
goldenwonder
New

2008 Polo - question

Post by goldenwonder »

Hi,

My missus has just upgraded her older 2006 55 E Polo to a 2008 Polo 1.2 70 Match - a nice little motor!

I've got a couple of question though - first one is I've noticed quite a dramatic increase in wind noise in the new polo above 50mph, with an irritating whistling noise! I've checked all the door seals and windows etc and all seems ok. It seems to be coming from the windscreen though - and not just one side?

The other question is about the canbus wiring. I've had to removed the RCD200 as its packed in. I put a nice simple Pioneer unit in using the ISO adaptors provided by my local motor factor (marked as for a Golf Mk5?) and it works - but doesn't power off with the ignition. I guess this is down to canbus - can anyone tell me what to wire my 'live' on the stereo to that will allow ignition control? I guess the cigarrette lighter is an option but how do I get to the wiring for that?

Thanks in advance!
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Re: 2008 Polo - question

Post by Dub_Dan »

wrong section buddy :)
goldenwonder
New

Post by goldenwonder »

Argh what a numpty! :oops:

Can the mods move this?
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Doesn't really matter, 9n and 9n3 are 90% the same anyway.

The stereo isn't turning off because the switched live and permanent live will be wired oppositely. It's a VW tradition. Swap the yellow (or yellow/red) wire and red (or red/white) wires on the ISO apadter around and it should do the trick. If the loom that came with your Pioneer (HU to ISO connector cable) is like mine, it should actually allow you to do this quite easily as most of them have butt connectors for these two wires to enable swapping these connections around.

This may help: http://www.installdr.com/harnesses/vw-wiring.pdf

Can't help on the wind noise issue though. I feel my 9n suffers quite badly from wind noise. I always have the stereo on though, so it doesn't matter.

Ash :)
goldenwonder
New

Post by goldenwonder »

Ta for the info - I've posted this in the right section now! :P
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

goldenwonder wrote:Argh what a numpty! :oops:

Can the mods move this?

wasnt having a dig buddy just for future reference thats all. sorry if it came across rude :)
chewy
Platinum Member

Post by chewy »

Do you know if the windscreen has been replaced?

Have a look at the logo on the windscreen (Should be near the tax disc iirc), if it does not have the little vw symbol then its been replaced badly.
goldenwonder
New

Post by goldenwonder »

I know the cars history pretty well as it used to be my mothers!

Never had a replacement windscreen. This whistling noise is now doing my head in! I've even tried taping around the edge of the windscreen to see if it was there but it made no difference.

I've elimated the following:
- door mirror (makes no difference if you fold it in/cover it)
- windscreen (taped around edges but no difference)
- windscreen wipers (genuine VW ones still on - noise doesn't go when wipers moved)
- door seal - seems to make no difference when you pull the door in, plus it sounds like its outside, rather than wind whistling 'into' the car through a gap, if you see what I mean

Its definitely the sound of wind whistling over something - with the window down you can here it loud and clear so it must be something on the external of the car that is causing it!

Next stage is checking underneath/removing the aerial. Previous 2006 polo didn't have this issue and the only difference on the exterior is the fog lights and alloy wheels.
goldenwonder
New

Post by goldenwonder »

Dub_Dan wrote:
goldenwonder wrote:Argh what a numpty! :oops:

Can the mods move this?

wasnt having a dig buddy just for future reference thats all. sorry if it came across rude :)
No offence taken! I hadn't even realised there was a MkVII thread :D