Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
big_amir
Getting There!

Re: Using Oil!

Post by big_amir »

Be warned the car exchange and refund process isn't as you would think. I have a new car on the way but for me to get this I have to pay 15 p per mile over 3000 miles, with my car now having done 16000 miles I am looking at around a 2000 bill. And worst of all after speaking to trading standards they are well within the law.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

big_amir wrote:Be warned the car exchange and refund process isn't as you would think. I have a new car on the way but for me to get this I have to pay 15 p per mile over 3000 miles, with my car now having done 16000 miles I am looking at around a 2000 bill. And worst of all after speaking to trading standards they are well within the law.
Ouch!! :o
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

big_amir wrote:Be warned the car exchange and refund process isn't as you would think. I have a new car on the way but for me to get this I have to pay 15 p per mile over 3000 miles, with my car now having done 16000 miles I am looking at around a 2000 bill. And worst of all after speaking to trading standards they are well within the law.
Everybody get their calculators out. £1500 bill for me then. Can't say I'm surprised. For me I've had the car too long, no way will they say 'here's your new car, have a nice day'. My mate had the same with a cooper s a couple of yrs ago, had to pay some dosh towards the replacement vehicle for his dud car.
I've said it before..i would not want to own one of these cars out of warranty!

Got my car back for the wkend while VW tech decide what to do with me.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Yes they are within their rights to charge you for the wear and tear on your car and is based on mileage as you state. However this is a dealer charge (not VW UK) and is also optional from my understanding, so I would challenge your dealer and ask them to go over the figures with you.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Update on mine, had to borrow a work ute over the weekend to cart some timber etc around and got back in the polo last night. Gave it a right hard drive too :D:D:D After my oil change at 6300kms, I've only lost a quater of the dipstick's worth of oil (checked when hot and with no settling time allowed) after nearly 4000kms which isn't exactly sedate driving either:)
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

Update on mine. VW tech want engine stripped again to check rings and bores . I spoke to customer services who seemed to suggest the dealers don't know how to fix these oil issues. I think there is a design flaw with these engines in some cases. The cat converter is on the way to being choked up too. Was told having a new engine may not solve the problem.
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

JohnPolo wrote:Update on mine. VW tech want engine stripped again to check rings and bores . I spoke to customer services who seemed to suggest the dealers don't know how to fix these oil issues. I think there is a design flaw with these engines in some cases. The cat converter is on the way to being choked up too. Was told having a new engine may not solve the problem.
Bad news John :( I think you are right in that there must be a fundamental design flaw, the new rings/scrapers are probably a 'sticking plaster' to try and rectify the fault. Maybe VW were hoping it would buy them time and keep customers from coming back in the warranty period.

What's the deal with the cat convertor then? My dealer said that increased oil burning would not affect it (but that was always going to be the expected response).

My car has done about 1,020 miles since the rings were updated and it appears to have just moved off the max level, I am hoping that is just normal and it won't drop off like a stone! The car itself still has only 4,200 on the clock!

Ps. I saw a red Polo GTI near Bath yesterday, wasn't yourself was it?

Keep us posted John, it is a very sorry saga.
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

No wasn't me skipster...a little too far south.
Well let's hope yours is one of the success stories. :) Keep us posted.
I know the legal possibilities but I'm going to use my warranty to the max. Each time it goes in for work it costs VW a tidy sum, sure ain't coming out of my pocket.
I wouldn't rush to buy a new VW in the future, only as part of a settlement deal.
I laugh when I see the current VW TV campaign where they show someone drawing various VW innovations.....when they draw a TSI engine they should include a cloud of blue smoke over it :!:
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

Update

My cars gone back to the dealer and I've been provided a jetta to use until mine is delivered.

I have been told the new car is going to be built week 50, so I should have it in January.

I can tell you after driving the jetta for a few days I am already missing my gti :(
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Found this little write up, some of you guys may have all ready read it anyway. All sounds so straightforward, 2 days in the workshop and 'hey presto', job done. :shock:

http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/volkswag ... month-five
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

skipster wrote:Found this little write up, some of you guys may have all ready read it anyway. All sounds so straightforward, 2 days in the workshop and 'hey presto', job done. :shock:

Love the way it says VW got in touch.....I bet they did!
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

JohnPolo wrote:
skipster wrote:Found this little write up, some of you guys may have all ready read it anyway. All sounds so straightforward, 2 days in the workshop and 'hey presto', job done. :shock:

Love the way it says VW got in touch.....I bet they did!
Yes indeed, makes me mad to read this, talk about glossing over the issue and the relative simplicity of getting it all fixed! :evil:
bullwinkle
New

Post by bullwinkle »

600 miles larer and my Gti used 800ml.

Going back in on Monday to get the Piston Rings done. Hoping that will fix it.
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

:roll:
bullwinkle wrote:600 miles larer and my Gti used 800ml.

Well good luck with that. It didn't work for me, my car is back with the dealer at the request of VW tech, engine being stripped to check rings and bores. :twisted:
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

bullwinkle wrote:600 miles larer and my Gti used 800ml.

Yes - good luck bullwinkle. Mine has had the rings done and appears to be ok. Have done 1,100 miles without any noticeable change on the dipstick. Its just about to have its first service in the next few weeks so the oil will be drained again anyway and topped up, but I still want to wait a few 1000 miles until I am completely convinced, looking good though.

John has not been so lucky as you will have read :(