6R Polo GTI hybrid WMI project

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Hurdy
Silver Member

Re: 6R Polo GTI stage 2 project

Post by Hurdy »

Had the car on the dyno at Statllers again today. The first dyno with the ITG intake on. Impressive is the key word here for the ITG.

The only mod between this and my last dyno run at Statllers and today's is the ITG

Stock airbox/filter - 220.5bhp and 232.5 lbft

ITG intake - 236.0bhp and 267.9lbft which is an increase of 15.5bhp and 34.4lbft

Getting there

ErkoSlo
New

Post by ErkoSlo »

This is SICK :twisted:
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

Hurdy wrote:Had the car on the dyno at Statllers again today. The first dyno with the ITG intake on. Impressive is the key word here for the ITG.

The only mod between this and my last dyno run at Statllers and today's is the ITG

Stock airbox/filter - 220.5bhp and 232.5 lbft

ITG intake - 236.0bhp and 267.9lbft which is an increase of 15.5bhp and 34.4lbft

Getting there

Awesome figures! What is this miltek and just itg?
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Nice Hurdy, now you just need a cooler to get the intake temps down. Now that the turbo will be breathing easier, more likely to heat up that air more. APR cooler will be ~$1695 AUD...
Hurdy
Silver Member

Post by Hurdy »

POLOGTI2011 wrote: Awesome figures! What is this miltek and just itg?
The only power mods are the Sparkplugs, REVO stage 2 map, Milltek full turbo-back exhaust and ITG intake. 8)
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

Blimey! So is that the revo map that is on the net for sale? Where do you stand in warrenty, have you voided it? Im looking into getting mine a miltek and revo map just worried about the oil issues... is yours drinking oil and spraying it out the pipes?
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

keep the good work up
Tsuku
New

Post by Tsuku »

Hurdy
Silver Member

Post by Hurdy »

POLOGTI2011 wrote:Blimey! So is that the revo map that is on the net for sale? Where do you stand in warrenty, have you voided it? Im looking into getting mine a miltek and revo map just worried about the oil issues... is yours drinking oil and spraying it out the pipes?
Yes the REVO map is the standard stage 2 map on setting B. 8) Warranty will be void on the ECU and obviously all the bits I've swapped off the car too. My car is now at 1,700 miles and I haven't put a drop in it since swapping to Mobil 1 at 200 miles. I ran the car in hard (warmed up first though) as per most motorsport cars as this is the best way to bed in the piston rings efficiently and it has paid off dividends. The Mobil 1 oil is fully synthetic 0W40 instead of 5W30 which means it protects immediately and has a slightly higher viscosity, so is slightly harder to push through the piston rings anyway.
Hurdy
Silver Member

Post by Hurdy »

I've already seen the HG intercooler and I'm not 100% sure I want an intercooler that high that blocks the radiator, so that the radiator has to exist on secondhand warmed up air after it has been through the intercooler.

There is a thread in the link below that may interest you about options for the intercoolers. 8)

http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=9622
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

The other issue is that the ratio of "volume of air:cooling surface area" is not only altered in the favourable direction of greater surface area, but you also have a greater volume of air inside the cooling channels of that intercooler.

Now, I'm no aerodynamicist or thermodynamic engineer (have a couple in the office though) but if you are accelerating the air at a certain speed and compressing it into a specific volume and that specific volume (approx 4L for stock intercooler) fills and flows through the intercooler at a specific rate, then by increasing your volume with no real benefit in cooling surface area, what benefit are you getting? You will be generating a slow point in the flow of the air into the engine, no? If the intercooler in question allowed a greater surface area for cooling with the same volume, then I could see this as more beneficial.

If though you have increase the volume of air being forced through the intercooler, then working on thesame averages of amount of air VS cooling area, would you also not just be back to where you were before in regards to intake temps? I believe this is why specific companies develop specific intercoolers for their tunes (APR for one) and specific tuners write a map that takes into consideration volume of the intercooler (Viezu for example) before writting the map so by upgrading your intercooler, you are getting the maximum benefit of the bigger cooler. Unlike WRX moders, I belive us with VW's are a bit more clever and don't just buy an ebay monster intercooler and then wonder why we have suddenly lost power and the turbo take longer to spool up than before:)
stuart.cameron
Bronze Member

Post by stuart.cameron »

Would the ITG intake add any performance to a standard GTI?
Hurdy
Silver Member

Post by Hurdy »

So, it is the return of the Performance box. :twisted:

0-60mph runs on a flat surface and done each way. Surface was dry, but with some mud in parts. Tyres were normal road tyres (not semi slicks), the car had it's full interior minus the spare (aerosol onboard!) and a full tank of fuel. Runs were done in sport mode with the traction control off.

0-60mph in 5.1 second both ways 8)

Here is a pic of the performance box screen.

Hurdy
Silver Member

Post by Hurdy »

stuart.cameron wrote:Would the ITG intake add any performance to a standard GTI?
Yes, I would definitely say it would add performance to a stock GTI 8)
vRSy
New

Post by vRSy »

As john said, that HG intercooler IMO appears to be really big but in reality its only a16% increase in volume, the large majority of the surface area is obstructed by the bumper, its only 40mm thick, so theres a huge loss in surface area on the cooling fins between the layers of tubing.

Standard intercooler is
80mm Tube Width
96mm Stack Height
617mm Tube Length = 4.73 litres

HG intercooler
40mm tube width
310mm stack height
450mm tube length =5.58 litres which =16% increase

Pace intercooler
90mm tube width
145mm stack height
550mm tube length = 7.17 litres = 35% increase

Not sure on the forge or APR sizes, but they follow the same design style as the pace cooler