2003 polo 1.4 fsi key and common fault help

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
dgear1984
New

2003 polo 1.4 fsi key and common fault help

Post by dgear1984 »

Hello

Recently bought a 2003 polo 1.4 fsi.

The car only came with one key. Is it possible to recode a second hand key bought from ebay assuming the remote has the correct code. HLO 1JO 959 753 AH

Spoke to a Auto locksmith today and he said it needed to be a new key but i am not sure if he was just trying to sell me a new key?

I also own a VRS Fabia and there are common faults on that like handbrake callipers not releasing (fix fitting a audi spring) and the rear doors leaking (fix silicone up the joins).

Are there any common known faults on a Polo 1.4 fsi 2003. I am going to be servicing it soon so if they are any known faults ill correct them now.

Thanks Dave
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Re: 2003 polo 1.4 fsi key and common fault help

Post by blazeguarder »

You can recode the keys. If you lose one and get another from the dealers, they recode both of them to the car. The idea is that, if one was nicked, the thief can't then just turn up with the old one and nick the car.

You'll need to get a new key blade though which is about £50 IIRC. Brand new, the total key (remote and blade) costs £135 and coding by the dealers takes it up to about £200 for reference.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that your locksmith was just trying to protect you against buying a key from eBay, fitting a new blade and then it not accepting coding due to the transponder chip having been programmed already - and it seems they can not get reprogrammed. You can buy a new transponder though and sort that bit out.

As you'll know, the Polo is just a Fabia with a smarter set of clothes, so it will have all the Skoda weaknesses, ie suspension breaking and rusting etc. Best return springs for the handbrake are the Sharan ones - strong enough to do the job without stiffening up the handbrake action.

I can't say much about the FSI engine except many of its features have been dropped as has the name in the newer 1.4 85PS.
dgear1984
New

Post by dgear1984 »

Well fingers crossed my fabia has been fairly reliable with the exception of the turbo going which luckily was still 3 days in warranty.

Im not sure what model they where off maybe an a3 but i fitted these springs to my VRS

1k0 615 295 left spring
1k0 615 296 right spring

Do you know the part number of the Sharan ones because as you say the handbrake is very stiff now on the VRS.

Have ordered a ebay key, and have a couple of leads on people with vagcom who might be able to code it for me.

Is it possible to retro fit a genuine vw cruise control to this model? I know on my bmw mini it was just a case of fitting a new stalk and getting it coded (although i never actually did it before selling it)

Thanks Dave
dgear1984
New

Post by dgear1984 »

Should the lights beep at you if you leave them on and turn off the ignition? The polo doesn't?

I know my VRS does?

Thanks Dave
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

dgear1984 wrote:Should the lights beep at you if you leave them on and turn off the ignition? The polo doesn't?

I know my VRS does? Thanks Dave
I'd guess a later thread has answered your question.

On your request for Sharan spring numbers, maybe take a look on the Skoda forum as that is where this was first discussed - maybe even a sticky!
dgear1984
New

Post by dgear1984 »

Hello,

I found after some searching the common fault for the lights not beeping when you turn the engine off and open the door, and the interior light not coming on when you open the door is the micro switch on the lock module.

I have taken the door lock module out. The micro switch goes open and close circuit as you would imaging it would do as the door latch is moved. I checked this with the resistance beeper on a multi meter and pushing through the wire with a thin pin.

I don't think it can be the microswitch. Is it possible to be the electronic box within the module? Or any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Interior light works otherwise so can't imagine its a fuse.

Don't really want to leave the lights on and get out!!!

Thanks Dave