Can't get insured for a decent price :(

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
SHADOW
New

Post by SHADOW »

Been looking for a Mk5 Polo for around a month now since I passed my test just over 2 months ago. Anyway I'm doing quotes for 1.0E but getting rediculous quotes from the insurers, some are over £5000! I understand I'm 17 but I'm sure these are overpriced quotes for 1.0L Polo. Has anyone got any recommended insurers to try and also roughly how much I'm going to be paying for the year?

Thanks, would really appretiate if someone could help me :D
JackClap
Bronze Member

Re: Can't get insured for a decent price :(

Post by JackClap »

When getting insured on my 1.0E I started looking on comparison websites. I was getting quoted £4500 for fully comprehensive and £3000 for third party fire and theft. Decided to give Admiral a call And managed to get it for £1400 and that with all mods declared. Lowering, alloys etc. All my friends are with Admiral as they seem to be good on price. Having parents as additional drivers definitley helps. You can also now get a 'black box' fitted to your car, which tells your insurance company how you drive. Which supposedly brings the price down alot. Also its worth doing something called Pass Plus, Basically a driving course for a day. But it can bring down your insurance by upto 30%. Other then that just calling around the insurance companies and eventually you should get a better quote. :)
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Wow.. I had heard that insurance had gone up for young drivers but nowhere near the amount you guys are talking about! This is crazy, and to think I was left with a bitter taste for parting with 'just' £1200 for my first premium aged 18 :?

As Jack said, I believe co-op do insurance where they fit a GPS box in your car and it monitors your driving style, things like acceleration, braking, the speed you're going in certain zones (40 in 40's) etc, cornering speeds and the amount of night-time driving. Good if you're a restrained driver (90% of people) but your premium can actually go up if you're found to be a nutter. Also, I have a hunch they'll use evidence given from the box in their decision on an insurance claim too, which can save a lot of stress.

Overall though I'd say it's a good scheme, means you don't end up paying for some oxygen thief clipping lollipop ladies with their wing mirrors and wrapping their cars around trees..

http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/ ... T.svl=copy
SHADOW
New

Post by SHADOW »

JackClap wrote:When getting insured on my 1.0E I started looking on comparison websites. I was getting quoted £4500 for fully comprehensive and £3000 for third party fire and theft. Decided to give Admiral a call And managed to get it for £1400 and that with all mods declared. Lowering, alloys etc. All my friends are with Admiral as they seem to be good on price. Having parents as additional drivers definitley helps. You can also now get a 'black box' fitted to your car, which tells your insurance company how you drive. Which supposedly brings the price down alot. Also its worth doing something called Pass Plus, Basically a driving course for a day. But it can bring down your insurance by upto 30%. Other then that just calling around the insurance companies and eventually you should get a better quote. :)
Thanks a lot for that, I was doing quotes online all night yesterday but I can't seem to get it below £4000. I'll try giving some insurers a ring today as that might be a bit more accurate. I don't trust the online quotes :lol: Also, if you don't mind me asking, how old was you when you were quoted £1400 for 1.0E?
SHADOW
New

Post by SHADOW »

Ben90 wrote:Wow.. I had heard that insurance had gone up for young drivers but nowhere near the amount you guys are talking about! This is crazy, and to think I was left with a bitter taste for parting with 'just' £1200 for my first premium aged 18 :?

As Jack said, I believe co-op do insurance where they fit a GPS box in your car and it monitors your driving style, things like acceleration, braking, the speed you're going in certain zones (40 in 40's) etc, cornering speeds and the amount of night-time driving. Good if you're a restrained driver (90% of people) but your premium can actually go up if you're found to be a nutter. Also, I have a hunch they'll use evidence given from the box in their decision on an insurance claim too, which can save a lot of stress.

Overall though I'd say it's a good scheme, means you don't end up paying for some oxygen thief clipping lollipop ladies with their wing mirrors and wrapping their cars around trees..

http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/ ... T.svl=copy
I'll have a look at that in a bit, I've seen the co-op insurance box before and it looks decent as I'm not going to be driving fast, out at night etc. I'll give a few company's a ring today and see how low I can get it. Thanks for your help :D
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

The box things were never cheaper for me, and put restrictions on driving hours between 11pm and 5am :(

I'm with Admiral - seem to be the cheapest. My sister in her first year of driving is paying £600 after gocompare/or someone gave a freakly low quote, but they said they had to honour it! Nothing like that happened for me!

I've also found saying you'll do really miles doesn't always make it cheaper as they assume you're unfamiliar with the car, then again, too high and it's more £££.

As said, try adding parents, they bring it right down! Also, fully comp often works out cheaper over all than TPFT. It worked out cheaper for me to get my parents to cancel their Direct Slime policy and take out a new one with Admiral Mutlicar with me and them on it. Could be worth looking at if it saves both you and your parents etc money.

Think things like the CO-op boxes will fine you for speeding, too much erratic driving etc too (so if you speed up to dodge a crash or whatever, or brake sharply repeatedly). Not sure if the Co-op one will, but several do. Something to consider.

On the bright side, it WILL get better - I'm 21 and come renewal could be paying up to £1700 to insure my GTi and a RenualtSport Megane 225/330ci/Cooper S/Mondeo ST. Just need to choose what to buy!
SHADOW
New

Post by SHADOW »

TriggerFish wrote:The box things were never cheaper for me, and put restrictions on driving hours between 11pm and 5am :(

I'm with Admiral - seem to be the cheapest. My sister in her first year of driving is paying £600 after gocompare/or someone gave a freakly low quote, but they said they had to honour it! Nothing like that happened for me!

I've also found saying you'll do really miles doesn't always make it cheaper as they assume you're unfamiliar with the car, then again, too high and it's more £££.

As said, try adding parents, they bring it right down! Also, fully comp often works out cheaper over all than TPFT. It worked out cheaper for me to get my parents to cancel their Direct Slime policy and take out a new one with Admiral Mutlicar with me and them on it. Could be worth looking at if it saves both you and your parents etc money.

Think things like the CO-op boxes will fine you for speeding, too much erratic driving etc too (so if you speed up to dodge a crash or whatever, or brake sharply repeatedly). Not sure if the Co-op one will, but several do. Something to consider.

On the bright side, it WILL get better - I'm 21 and come renewal could be paying up to £1700 to insure my GTi and a RenualtSport Megane 225/330ci/Cooper S/Mondeo ST. Just need to choose what to buy!
£1700 to insure both :shock: Thats awesome, I'd be happy to pay that for 1.0E alone :lol:
Anyway thanks for the advice, Admiral look the most promising so hopefully I'll get a decent quote from them.
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

If you do go with Admiral - something I found yesterday that makes a big difference - job.

I'm on a placement year from uni atm, and I'm paying * in insurance. When I go back to being a student it goes up about £300. (*+£300.) I'll also be doing a part time job while I study which is in the same field as my placement. If I tell the insurance firm I'm a student working part time it stays at (*+£300). If I say I'm working, but studying also then it stays at *. Just swapping the order of the two occupations saves a lot of money - could be something to consider depending on your circumstances.
JackClap
Bronze Member

Post by JackClap »

I was 17 when I managed to get it insured for £1400. I did have the car already insured with them though before I actually passed. I had it insured on my provisional license for a few months. Then called them up on the day I passed and it was £1400 for a year Fully comp with all mods declared. All my friends who have just started driving are insured with Admiral as they seem to be cheapest. Also If you parents are on Admiral the multi car policy would bring the price down too.
SHADOW
New

Post by SHADOW »

TriggerFish wrote:If you do go with Admiral - something I found yesterday that makes a big difference - job.

I'm on a placement year from uni atm, and I'm paying * in insurance. When I go back to being a student it goes up about £300. (*+£300.) I'll also be doing a part time job while I study which is in the same field as my placement. If I tell the insurance firm I'm a student working part time it stays at (*+£300). If I say I'm working, but studying also then it stays at *. Just swapping the order of the two occupations saves a lot of money - could be something to consider depending on your circumstances.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try that as normally I just state 'Student'. I'll put in my part-time work and see what happens ;)
SHADOW
New

Post by SHADOW »

JackClap wrote:I was 17 when I managed to get it insured for £1400. I did have the car already insured with them though before I actually passed. I had it insured on my provisional license for a few months. Then called them up on the day I passed and it was £1400 for a year Fully comp with all mods declared. All my friends who have just started driving are insured with Admiral as they seem to be cheapest. Also If you parents are on Admiral the multi car policy would bring the price down too.
Alright cheers, I gave them a ring today and they quoted £4000 even with the multicar discount. It's rediculous, I've got to keep on searching around for a better price until I find something under £2000 but it's not looking promising.
moxons
New

Post by moxons »

just some more info
my son is 18 passed test two months ago

we have just got insurance on a 1.2 e 2002 52 plate £2100 through the coop with black box fitted

insurance has gone up with a bang for everyone but young drivers seem to be hit the hardest
it also depends where you live

we got a quote on a 1.4 using his granddads address and it was £1400 against £2800 for a Bradford post code
TozzaKezza
New

Post by TozzaKezza »

I'm 17 and have a 1.0E and mines £4k fully comp with Ingenie, if i drive well (gps device fitted) I can get up to £380 back over the year, that's the best I could do unfortunately. I tried everywhere!
mattskate
Bronze Member

Post by mattskate »

Know how u feel mate, I'm 19 wit a 1.4 and my insurance is £2,500, gone down alot tho, I had a 1.1 saxo when I was 18 an that was £3,000. I'm with tesco, found they were cheapest and tried pretty much everyone tbh, but it rele does vary on little things like job, where u live, miles etc, like I put in where I work for where it's usually kept and that bumped it up about £500 :/ so yea try tesco ;)
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Getting insured if you’re a lad aged 17-18 is the worst possible insurance bracket (due to those specific ages statistically causing the most accidents)

It soon gets better when your 19-20 but for the first couple of years you just have to accept it.
Get something slow and if your fortunate enough get the car insured in one of your parents names to reduce cost (just be careful and try not to be Vin Diesel)