Just the spoiler or the whole tailgate??!! :?:

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
rafcoppa
New

Post by rafcoppa »

Hey guys

I'm in two minds, I've got myself a tailgate off a GTi with the spoiler on it and I cant make my mind up whether to take the spoiler off and fit it to my tailgate or just fit the whole GTi tailgate. Obviously fitting the new tailgate would be more work but the spoiler would be VERY secure, as where just swopping the spoiler over would save alot of time but may end up not as straight to secure.

Anyone swopped a tailgate, did it go to plan or was it a pain in the bum???? I dont want to end up with a leaky boot.

Cheers

T
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

Iv got a votex roof spoiler on mine and the body shop did it and there is no chance it's coming off! Just take it off and get it done properly mate...
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

Ask Craig about this, trottagti ;)
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Post by nigelelliott394 »

The GTI tailgate and standard 6n2 tailgates are different. The GTI has the fixings and holes in place for that spoiler... If you remove it, you'd have to drill into your standard tailgate to fit it.

To be honest, I think there's probably less work in swapping the tailgates than there is trying to remove and fit a spoiler to a tailgate that's not really designed for it.
mattskate
Bronze Member

Re: Just the spoiler or the whole tailgate??!! :?:

Post by mattskate »

i have a GTI spoiler on my standard 6n2 and it was fine fitting it, dunno about taking it off tho coz i got it from some one breaking a GTI so they did it for me.
all i had to do was take out the third brake light, clip the spoiler into place, drill from under the the tailgate (there are 2holes if u open up the boot and have a look) and just sealed it all up wit sum strong tiger bond, simple really.
check out my pics but u shud be fine :)
matt.
red6n2
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by red6n2 »

defo teh whole tailgate i swapped tailgates on my mrs's 9n3 and it took me like 20 mins including all wiring

(im a fast little worker)

where as ive had a GTI spoiler sitting in my cupboard for about 2 years that ive never fitted as i cant be assed with the hastle of drilling etc...
mattskate
Bronze Member

Post by mattskate »

red6n2 wrote:defo teh whole tailgate i swapped tailgates on my mrs's 9n3 and it took me like 20 mins including all wiring

(im a fast little worker)

where as ive had a GTI spoiler sitting in my cupboard for about 2 years that ive never fitted as i cant be assed with the hastle of drilling etc...
really not hard to fit, if i can anyone can haha, the screws are only rele there to hold it when i sealed it tbh